Collection 2018-154 - Belleville Fire Department materials

Ouvrir Objet numérique originale

Zone d'identification

Cote

CA ON00156 2018-154

Titre

Belleville Fire Department materials

Date(s)

  • 1925-1985 (Production)

Niveau de description

Collection

Étendue matérielle et support

1 print
1 black and white photograph
9 reproduction black and white photographs
13 pages

Zone du contexte

Nom du producteur

(1836-)

Histoire administrative

The earliest recorded by-law No. 1 of the newly incorporated police village of Belleville (1836) outlined the fire regulations and safety measures for its residents. Able-bodied men were expected to assist with drawing the hand-pumped apparatus to the scene in all types of weather and bad road conditions. Every business and dwelling was expected to have a bucket to hand and assist with putting out fires.
By the 1860s the town of Belleville had horse-drawn equipment and a steam-powered pumping engine. The independent fire companies were under the direction of the Chief Engineer appointed by the town council. In 1878, a volunteer fire department was organized and the fire companies were merged into two with a Hook and Ladder company. Chief Engineer William H. Campbell was the first fire chief, serving in this capacity until his death in 1915.
The volunteer fire service that had protected Belleville since 1878 was organized on a permanent force basis on January 1, 1916 under Chief William Brown. At this time there were 10 men and two fire pumpers.
The 1920s was a transitional period for the Belleville Fire Department when the city approved the purchase of two motorized vehicles to replace horse-drawn equipment. The last horse was retired in 1926 with the purchase of a ladder truck.
From the 1920s onwards the Belleville Fire and Emergency Services has continued to respond to the changing needs of the municipality.

Histoire archivistique

Source immédiate d'acquisition ou de transfert

Transferred by Carson Cross in December 2018.

Zone du contenu et de la structure

Portée et contenu

Items include reproduction photographs of nine Belleville Fire Chiefs: William J. Brown, William Lynch, Gerald Vance, Leo Culhane, Thomas E. Poste, Fred Hosking, R. Reid, Gordon Gazley, Rhéaume Chaput; print of a hand pump, 1925; typescript information about automatic sprinkler systems, c.1960; photograph of St. Thomas's Church, Belleville, in flames, 1975.

Évaluation, élimination et calendrier de conservation

Accroissements

Mode de classement

Zone des conditions d'accès et d'utilisation

Conditions d’accès

Conditions de reproduction

Langue des documents

Écriture des documents

Notes sur la langue et l'écriture

Caractéristiques matérielle et contraintes techniques

Instruments de recherche

Zone des sources complémentaires

Existence et lieu de conservation des originaux

Existence et lieu de conservation des copies

Unités de description associées

Descriptions associées

Zone des notes

Identifiant(s) alternatif(s)

Mots-clés

Mots-clés - Sujets

Mots-clés - Lieux

Mots-clés - Noms

Mots-clés - Genre

Zone du contrôle de la description

Identifiant de la description

Identifiant du service d'archives

Règles et/ou conventions utilisées

Statut

Niveau de détail

Dates de production, de révision, de suppression

Langue(s)

Écriture(s)

Sources

Objet numérique (URI externe) zone des droits

Objet numérique (Référence) zone des droits

Objet numérique (Imagette) zone des droits

Zone des entrées

Sujets associés

Personnes et organismes associés

Genres associés

Lieux associés