Coleção 2018-154 - Belleville Fire Department materials

Open original Objeto digital

Zona de identificação

Código de referência

CA ON00156 2018-154

Título

Belleville Fire Department materials

Data(s)

  • 1925-1985 (Produção)

Nível de descrição

Coleção

Dimensão e suporte

1 print
1 black and white photograph
9 reproduction black and white photographs
13 pages

Zona do contexto

Nome do produtor

(1836-)

História administrativa

The earliest recorded by-law No. 1 of the newly incorporated police village of Belleville (1836) outlined the fire regulations and safety measures for its residents. Able-bodied men were expected to assist with drawing the hand-pumped apparatus to the scene in all types of weather and bad road conditions. Every business and dwelling was expected to have a bucket to hand and assist with putting out fires.
By the 1860s the town of Belleville had horse-drawn equipment and a steam-powered pumping engine. The independent fire companies were under the direction of the Chief Engineer appointed by the town council. In 1878, a volunteer fire department was organized and the fire companies were merged into two with a Hook and Ladder company. Chief Engineer William H. Campbell was the first fire chief, serving in this capacity until his death in 1915.
The volunteer fire service that had protected Belleville since 1878 was organized on a permanent force basis on January 1, 1916 under Chief William Brown. At this time there were 10 men and two fire pumpers.
The 1920s was a transitional period for the Belleville Fire Department when the city approved the purchase of two motorized vehicles to replace horse-drawn equipment. The last horse was retired in 1926 with the purchase of a ladder truck.
From the 1920s onwards the Belleville Fire and Emergency Services has continued to respond to the changing needs of the municipality.

História do arquivo

Fonte imediata de aquisição ou transferência

Transferred by Carson Cross in December 2018.

Zona do conteúdo e estrutura

Âmbito e conteúdo

Items include reproduction photographs of nine Belleville Fire Chiefs: William J. Brown, William Lynch, Gerald Vance, Leo Culhane, Thomas E. Poste, Fred Hosking, R. Reid, Gordon Gazley, Rhéaume Chaput; print of a hand pump, 1925; typescript information about automatic sprinkler systems, c.1960; photograph of St. Thomas's Church, Belleville, in flames, 1975.

Avaliação, selecção e eliminação

Ingressos adicionais

Sistema de organização

Zona de condições de acesso e utilização

Condições de acesso

Condiçoes de reprodução

Idioma do material

Script do material

Notas ao idioma e script

Características físicas e requisitos técnicos

Instrumentos de descrição

Zona de documentação associada

Existência e localização de originais

Existência e localização de cópias

Unidades de descrição relacionadas

Descrições relacionadas

Zona das notas

Identificador(es) alternativo(s)

Pontos de acesso

Pontos de acesso - Assuntos

Pontos de acesso - Locais

Pontos de acesso - Nomes

Pontos de acesso de género

Zona do controlo da descrição

Identificador da descrição

Identificador da instituição

Regras ou convenções utilizadas

Estatuto

Nível de detalhe

Datas de criação, revisão, eliminação

Línguas e escritas

Script(s)

Fontes

Objeto digital (URI externo) zona de direitos

Objeto digital (Referência) zona de direitos

Objeto digital (Ícone) zona de direitos

Zona da incorporação

Assuntos relacionados

Pessoas e organizações relacionadas

Géneros relacionados

Locais relacionados