Showing 1343 results

People and Organizations

Township of Huntingdon

  • Corporate body
  • 1850-1998

Huntingdon Township Council was established in 1850. In 1998 it merged with the Village of Madoc to form the Municipality of Centre Hastings.

Belleville-Sargent and Co. Limited

  • Corporate body
  • 1931-1947

Operating at 270 Pinnacle Street, the Belleville-Sargent and Co. Limited manufactured Locks and associated building hardware. In 1947 it enlarged to include marine hardware. It was purchased by the American Hardware Company in 1956.

Bel-Con Design-Builders

  • Corporate body
  • 1973-

A construction company founded in Belleville, Ontario by Bill White and Barry Brown in 1973.

Bedell, Bruce

  • Person
  • 1936-2014

Bruce William Bedell was born in Belleville in 1936. He was an educator with a love of history, dramatic arts and the outdoors. He was a graduate of Belleville Collegiate Institute and Vocational School and served a year in the Royal Canadian Air Force before becoming a teacher. His first classroom was in Wilberforce, between Haliburton and Bancroft. Bedell lived in Dryden, Sault Ste. Marie and London before setting back in Belleville in 2004. He became Town Crier for Belleville in 2004 and a member of the Hastings County Historical Society. He died in 2014

Obituary in the Belleville Intelligencer: http://www.intelligencer.ca/2014/10/07/belleville-loses-biggest-voice

Pope (family)

  • Family
  • fl. 1950s

The Pope family lived in Shannonville, Ontario, in the 1950s.

St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church (Belleville)

  • Corporate body
  • 1830-

On February 17, 1823 the Surveyor General Thomas Ridout approved an Order of Council allowing John Turnbull, William H. Wallbridge, William Zwick, and Roswell Leavens of the Town of Belleville; and Charles Bonisted of the Township of Sydney to form a Presbyterian Church in Belleville on Lots 30 and 31 on the east side of Church Street at the corner of Victoria Avenue. The minister's house was built off Church Street below the Armory. The first church was erected on that spot in 1830, known as old St. Andrew's and the first reverend was Reverend James Ketchan who left for Scotland in 1844. St. Andrew's was then left without its own minister for five years. Up until 1858 the church was lit by tallow candles, at which time gas was secured by laying a main to the corner of John and Hotel Streets. A manse for the pastor was built on George Street in 1866.

In 1870, a brick building replaced the existing wooden structure. This building, which contained Belleville's only chime bells, was destroyed by fire in 1894. The current building was built in 1895 and seats about 800 people. In the time between the church fire and the new edifice being built, the congregation met at the Ontario Business School. By the end of 1923 St. Andrew's membership was 395. In 1925, the church voted against entering the United Church of Canada, however many left after the vote including the church's leader, Reverend A.S. Kerr who was replaced by R.G. Stewart.

The postwar boom saw the congregation grow, as membership reached 770 by 1954. However, attendance began to decline at the end of the twentieth century.

St. Andrew's first woman minister, Reverend Anne-Marie Jones, was appointed in 2001.

Results 1221 to 1240 of 1343