CA ON00156 TTy
- 1847-2015 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
19m of textual records
Name of creator
Tyendinaga Township, Ontario, was formed through the alienation of land originally granted to the Mohawks of the Bay of Quinte in 1784 (confirmed by the Simcoe deed of 1793: https://docs.neb-one.gc.ca/ll-eng/llisapi.dll/fetch/2000/90464/90552/92263/790736/890819/956564/956846/995761/C24-4-6_-_Simcoe_Deed_A3K1G9.pdf?nodeid=994999&vernum=-2). The first four concessions of the township were surveyed in 1820 and the rear concessions in the 1840s. The settlement of Deseronto was separated from the Township in 1871 when it became a village.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Some materials were transferred from the Archives of Ontario in 2016. Additional materials were collected from the Township offices in November 2017.
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Records of Tyendinaga Township, including Council Minutes, 1847-2010, By-laws, 1850-1958; Assessment and Collectors Rolls, 1855-2015; Board of Health Minutes, 1923-1966; and Clerk-Treasurer's Records, 1919-2002.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
The volume and file numbers originally assigned by the Archives of Ontario have been retained.