- 1884-2001 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
4cm of textual and photographic materials
Name of creator
The Anglican parish of St. Mark’s was founded in Deseronto (the Mill Point) in 1876 under The Rev. E. H. M. Baker and named after his church of ordination in Britain. In 1880 The Rev. Thomas Stanton was appointed the first incumbent of the new St. Mark’s church and, according to Anglican tradition the first ‘official’ service did not take place until the building was nearing completion in 1887. Consecration of the building did not occur until 1892 when the debt for construction was paid off. The church was deconsecrated at the end of 2001 and became a private residence in 2003.
Donated to the Deseronto Archives after the deconsecration of the church in 2001.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Transferred to the Community Archives in September 2016.
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Collection consists of the following files:
- Items removed from a self-adhesive photograph album, including photographs and notes on the history of the church, 1884-1994
- Two issues of The Choir Herald publication from May 1901 and April 1904
- Newspapers and clippings with stories about St. Mark's, 1972-1980
- Order of service for Christmas 2001, with invitation to attend the church's deconsecration service
- Various dedication plates from windows in the church and two bags embroidered "St. Mark's Sunday School"