CA ON00156 MG 29
- 1885-2006 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
26 cm of textual records
Name of creator
On February 17, 1823 the Surveyor General Thomas Ridout approved an Order of Council allowing John Turnbull, William H. Wallbridge, William Zwick, and Roswell Leavens of the Town of Belleville; and Charles Bonisted of the Township of Sydney to form a Presbyterian Church in Belleville on Lots 30 and 31 on the east side of Church Street at the corner of Victoria Avenue. The minister's house was built off Church Street below the Armory. The first church was erected on that spot in 1830, known as old St. Andrew's and the first reverend was Reverend James Ketchan who left for Scotland in 1844. St. Andrew's was then left without its own minister for five years. Up until 1858 the church was lit by tallow candles, at which time gas was secured by laying a main to the corner of John and Hotel Streets. A manse for the pastor was built on George Street in 1866.
In 1870, a brick building replaced the existing wooden structure. This building, which contained Belleville's only chime bells, was destroyed by fire in 1894. The current building was built in 1895 and seats about 800 people. In the time between the church fire and the new edifice being built, the congregation met at the Ontario Business School. By the end of 1923 St. Andrew's membership was 395. In 1925, the church voted against entering the United Church of Canada, however many left after the vote including the church's leader, Reverend A.S. Kerr who was replaced by R.G. Stewart.
The postwar boom saw the congregation grow, as membership reached 770 by 1954. However, attendance began to decline at the end of the twentieth century.
St. Andrew's first woman minister, Reverend Anne-Marie Jones, was appointed in 2001.
Talk 405 was donated by Gerald Boyce and the items relating to Queen Victoria's funeral were donated by Bruce Portt.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
This fonds comprises two accessions. Materials donated by church officials in 2002 include:
- 36 annual reports dating from 1898 to 2000
- 'St. Andrew's Church Weekly News', 1888-1890
- 'St. Andrew's Church News', 1968-1969
- 'Open Door', 1972-1983
- 'St. Andrew's Newsletter', 1984-1994
- 'The Lamp and the Thistle', 1995-2001
- 100th Anniversary Services, 1927
- History of the church (4 pages)
- Report: Hastings-Prince Edward Children's Services Committee, 'Directory of Services for Children in Hastings and Prince Edward Counties', 1980
- Report: Community Care for Seniors, 'A Study of the Needs of the Disabled in the Belleville Area', 1980
- Report: Community Development Council of Belleville and District, 'Task Force on Hunger Report', 1992
The remaining materials were extracted from the Hastings County Historical Society's textual records in the summer of 2014:
- File of documents relating to the church's history such as a 1901 article in the Daily Intelligencer and a history of the church written by Kenneth S. Hill
- File of correspondence and newsletters
- 15 assorted annual reports and financial statements up to 1970, with a fund-raising proposal.
- Minutes from the St. Andrew's Society from February 12, 1885 and a menu from the St. Andrew's Day anniversary from 1890
- File of notices, a program from a service dedicated to Queen Victoria's funeral; a list of soldiers from the congregation who fought in World War One; a program from Sunday, December 4, 1932; programs from Stainer's "The Crucifixion" from 1958, 1959, and 1961; the itinerary from the 1959 annual council meeting of the Women's Missionary Society of the Presbyterian Church in Canada; the list to elect the church's elders from 1959; a program from the church choir's production of Handel's Messiah in 1960; a program from the Girl Guide – Brownie Sunday service in 1961; a catalogue of art painted by Allan and Donnah Cameron for an exhibit held in 1964; a program and an advertisement for an organ recital from 1968; there is also a 1968 retelling of a performance by the Ladies of St. Andrews Church from 1889; and a copy of Talk 405 given by Gerald Boyce on Anniversary Sunday 2006
- File of newspaper clippings
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Name access points
- Boyce, Gerry (Subject)
Genre access points
Description control area
Rules and/or conventions used
Level of detail
Dates of creation revision deletion
Entered by Nicholas VanExan, June 24, 2015.