Series RG 656 - Registers of Port of Belleville harbour dues

Identity area

Reference code

CA ON00156 RG 656

Title

Registers of Port of Belleville harbour dues

Date(s)

  • 1939-1946 (Creation)

Level of description

Series

Extent and medium

3 volumes

Context area

Name of creator

(1889-1978)

Administrative history

The Belleville Harbour Commission was established in 1889 by the Harbour Commissioners Act, Chapter 35. The Harbour Commissioners and Mayor were to appoint the Harbour Master with the approval of the Minister of Marine and Fisheries. The harbour and Port of Belleville were afforded the ability to collect harbour dues in 1870 through a by-law enacted by the Treasury Board of Canada. After the charter of the Commission in 1889, the by-laws and regulations were approved by the Governor General in 1911 and they were carried forward in 1947. The Harbour Commission was dissolved by a Federal decision in 1978.

W. C. Mikel lists the following Harbour Masters in his history of the City of Belleville:

  • 1889 Alexander Waters
  • 1891 D. Collins
  • 1904 Sidney Vandervoort
  • 1912 George Dulmage
  • 1922 J. H. Carr
  • 1931 Robert Goudy
  • 1936 Joseph Waddell

George Oliver Tice took over from Joseph Waddell in 1945. He was listed as Harbour Master in the 1959 Vernon's Directory of Belleville. Mac Smith held the position in 1961 and 1963, with Don J. Barrett in the role in 1972 and 1974. In the 1986 directory, the post was not listed, suggesting that the Commission had been dissolved by that date.

Archival history

Immediate source of acquisition or transfer

Transferred by City of Belleville Recreation, Culture and Community Services department in April 2007.

Content and structure area

Scope and content

Three registers of Harbour Dues paid by ships offloading cargo at the Port of Belleville between 21 September 1939 and 5 December 1946. The registers record the date; the name of the ship; the quantity and nature of the cargo; the recipient; the dues owing and the date they were paid. Entries are signed by the harbour master: Joseph Waddell until 5 October 1945 and George Oliver Tice after that date.

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling

Accruals

System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

Conditions governing reproduction

Language of material

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Finding aids

Allied materials area

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related units of description

Related descriptions

Notes area

Alternative identifier(s)

Accession number

2007-26

Access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Description control area

Description identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation revision deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Accession area

Related people and organizations

Related genres

Related places