- 1931-1998 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
33cm of textual records
1 cloth banner
8 colour photographs
2 audio cassettes
4 printed books
Name of creator
The Young Women's Guild was formed under the auspices of the John Street United Church in Belleville, Ontario in 1931. Its aim was "to study and discuss current topics in the light of the principles of Jesus' teaching". Members prepared talks on topics of interest to members and a guest speaker was invited once a year to address the group. During the Depression they organized a School for Leisure in the church hall, as a place for people to meet and learn basic skills such as knitting, nutrition, carpentry, sewing, and bookkeeping.
The name of the organization was changed at the 29th March 1950 meeting to the Women's Guild.
The future of the Guild was discussed at a meeting held on 28th September 1998, when it was unanimously agreed that the Study Guild should cease to exist. The remaining funds of the organization were donated to Eastminster Church.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Donated by Carol Proctor (daughter of Lois Wishart) in September 2016. Additional materials were received from the same donor in May 2018.
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Minutes, texts of talks and financial records of the Women's Study Guild, originally formed at the John Street United Church in Belleville, Ontario.