- 1885-1967 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
8 cm of textual records.
Name of creator
The Ontario Business College was established as the Ontario Commercial College in Belleville, Ontario, in 1868 by Samuel G. Beatty and George Wallbridge. In 1871 Beatty purchased Wallbridge's share of the business and was joined by William Byron Robinson (1846-1921) and John Wesley Johnson. Beatty retired in 1879. The College was in operation in various locations in Belleville until it went into receivership in 1999.
Note that the Community Archives does not hold student transcripts for the Ontario Business College. Private career colleges in Ontario were not legally obligated to maintain student records (transcripts and/or diplomas) for any length of time until 2007.
Some of the contents of this fonds were acquired by former Principal I.L. Moore. The printed song, "The Boys of the O.B.C." and the correspondence to Miss Nightingale came from the Ponton papers, and the school records came from the Reeves family and the estate of Isaac Frost. The letter from the Aylmer Railroad and Business School came from the Wise family. The certificate of appreciation was donated by Bob Brennan and Brant Cowie.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
This fonds is composed of folders of records containing documents relating to the Ontario Business College:
- correspondence including letters between: F.C.A. Johnson and E.H. Best; a Miss Nightingale and Michael J. Finnegan; and Miss Nightingale and Fred Jarrett
- publications containing programs, pamphlets, and catalogues
- items donated by Principal I. L. Moore such as a catalogue, an advertisement, a cheque to the school from the Farthey family from Johannesburg, South Africa from the Bank of Africa, and a scholarship granted to Adam Johnson
- the college's rules and regulations, a legal document discussing the trial over the name of the Belleville Business College between that school and the Ontario Business College, and one invoice book from the Business Department
- ephemera file containing three student records from Geoff Reeves, Maud Reeves, and Howard Frost respectively, as well as a coupon and a copy of the school song,
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Note that the Community Archives does not hold student transcripts for the Ontario Business College. Please consult this list for information on how to obtain transcripts: http://www.tcu.gov.on.ca/pepg/audiences/pcc/vendors.html
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description control area
Rules and/or conventions used
Level of detail
Dates of creation revision deletion
Entered by Nicholas VanExan, June 23, 2015.