Zona de identificação
Código de referência
- 1823-1897 (Produção)
Nível de descrição
Dimensão e suporte
5 cm of textual records
Zona do contexto
Nome do produtor
John S. Turnbull was a merchant, municipal official and land owner in Belleville and Hastings County, Ontario. Turnbull was a dealer in dry goods, groceries, hardware, crockery, and country produce. He was born in Edinburgh, Scotland in 1793 and died in Belleville in January 1869.
He was also in influential member of Belleville society as both a civic leader and elected official. He was appointed Treasurer of the County of Hastings in 1838, and was elected to the municipal council as a representative for Ketcheson Ward n 1853.
Turnbull helped organize the first Sunday School in Belleville in 1822 with assistance from Dr. Anthony Marshall, and Doctor George Cooper. In addition to this, he also was instrumental in bringing the Presbyterian Church to Belleville. In 1821, Turnbull helped arrange a land grant of one acre on the east side of church street on lots 30 and 31. This land would be the home of the St. Andrew's Church and cemetery in 1831.
Turnbull was also in possession of lucrative property holdings. The John Turnbull Building downtown Belleville is the most recognized. It sits at 207 A to 211 Front Street on Lot 24 on the east side of the street. His properties in the city of Belleville include: Lot 38, east side of Pinnacle St.; Lot 5; Lots 9 and 10; Lots 18 and 19; Lot 24; Lot 28. In Rawdon, he owned: Lot 1, Concession 11; Lot 1, Concession 13; Lot 4, Concession 14; Lot 5, Concession 13; Lots 12 and 13, Concession 13; Lot 18, Concession 13; as well as Lots 16 and 24. He was also the owner of Lot 18, Concession 6 and Lot 6, Concession 11 in Madoc; Lot 9 in Richmond; Lot 35, Concession 5 in Tyendinega; and Lot 19, Concession 1 in Hungerford.
John Turnbull built what is known as the Turnbull-Campbell Villa in the 1850s. It was built for his daughter Charlotte Turnbull and used to stand at 23A Charlotte Street.
História do arquivo
Donated by C.D. Crosby Insurance and Real Estate Company of Belleville in 1960. Crosby ontained the fonds from a Mr. Morgan who at one time handled the rental of the John Turnbull Building.
Fonte imediata de aquisição ou transferência
Zona do conteúdo e estrutura
Âmbito e conteúdo
The fonds contains the papers of John S. Turnbull of Belleville, Ontario. Enclosed in the first file is a description of the property of a Mr. Forrin; a notice instructing Mr. Turnbull to pay Mr. James Anderson eleven pounds, ten shillings by Mr. James Turnbull; and a description of the west side of Front Street. The second file consists of items relating to Turnbull's estate including a list of properties he owned, a list of personal effects, the last will and testament of Margaret Campbell, the first and final wills of John Turnbull, and documents pertaining to a dispute over his estate by his family after his death. The third file is composed of various real estate contracts, the fourth file consists of real estate deeds, while the fifth file is made up of real estate leases.
A plan of lot 40 on the west side of Front Street, Belleville, was also part of this collection but is kept separately.
Avaliação, selecção e eliminação
Sistema de arranjo
Zona de condições de acesso e utilização
Condições de acesso
Condiçoes de reprodução
Idioma do material
Script do material
Notas ao idioma e script
Características físicas e requisitos técnicos
Instrumentos de descrição
Zona de documentação associada
Existência e localização de originais
Existência e localização de cópias
Unidades de descrição relacionadas
Zona das notas
Pontos de acesso
Pontos de acesso - Nomes
Pontos de acesso de género
Zona do controlo da descrição
Identificador da descrição
Identificador da instituição
Regras ou convenções utilizadas
Nível de detalhe
Datas de criação, revisão, eliminação
Entered by Nicholas VanExan, June 23, 2015.
Línguas e escritas