Plaque commemorating Simpson's Tavern, put up by the Hastings County Historical Society on Front Street, Belleville in 2017.
Text reads: "In 1797 James and Margaret Simpson had a small log tavern at the southeast corner of this intersection. In 1799 they built a frame tavern which became the hub of Meyers' Creek for political rallies, military recruitment, training and courts-martial, Masonic lodge meetings and social gatherings. After James died in 1802, Margaret continued the business and was the first woman granted a tavern license in Midland District. In 1820 Margaret build a frame Georgian-style inn on the northeast corner of the intersection. It was sold in 1825 to the Wallbridge family and was demolished in 1973."