The collection reflects the publishing interests of Nick and Helma Mika. It comprises four main series: photographic files, reference files, printing process files and other materials. The collection is strong in local history materials, particularly relating to the history of the United Empire Loyalists, railways, and the city of Belleville.
Three registers of Harbour Dues paid by ships offloading cargo at the Port of Belleville between 21 September 1939 and 5 December 1946. The registers record the date; the name of the ship; the quantity and nature of the cargo; the recipient; the dues owing and the date they were paid. Entries are signed by the harbour master: Joseph Waddell until 5 October 1945 and George Oliver Tice after that date.
Negatives of photographs taken by John Fairbairn Anderson. They include images of dams, electricity generating plants, the Beal family cottage on Stoney Lake and photographs of places Anderson visited, including Orillia, Los Angeles, Peterborough, Young's Point, Sulphide, Port Hope, Muskegon (Michigan), Chicago and Trenton (Ontario).
Many of the negatives are associated with an index card, on which Anderson wrote the number of the negative, the subject of the photograph and the date it was taken. There were also a number of negatives with no associated card.
Slides made by Rudolf Donninger during his time in Belleville, Ontario, working at Northern Electric. They include photographs of buildings in Belleville, rural scenes, cars, a parade and the Belleville Fair in 1970, winter scenes, Ottawa and Kingston views, and aircraft at the Trenton Air Show.
Charter for Belleville Local Division Number 126 of the Canadian Brotherhood of Railway Employees and Other Transport Workers. Officers listed: President: J. G. Shaw Treasurer: C. Kellet Financial Secretary: V. P. McIntyre Local Chairman: H. J. Armstrong Recording Secretary: C. A. Finnigan Reporter: H. Pointer
Photographs from World War Two, Philip Etter's identification cards, literature on the navy and military, correspondence with the Canadian Merchant Navy Veterans Association, newspaper articles, newspapers from World War Two, House of Commons releases, the journal "The Red Duster".
Printed ‘Rules of Order of the Municipal Council of the Town of Deseronto’ 18 Feb 1889
Printed pro-forma for a certificate of public recognition by the town of Halifax for service in the Second World War (with pencilled alterations to make reference to Deseronto instead), 1945
Printed booklet on ‘The Future of the Liberal Party’, address by Brooke Claxton, Minister of National Defence, 4 Aug 1948
Auditor’s report on road expenditures for the Town of Deseronto, 1949
Edition of ‘Roads and Road Construction’ journal, March 1951, Vol. 29, no. 339
Leases between the Town of Deseronto and the Deseronto Lions Club (of the Skating Rink) and Deseronto Boating Club (part of the old saw mill property), 1953-1954
Published report by the Select Committee on Indian Affairs on ‘Civil Liberties and Rights of Indians [Indigenous People] in Ontario’, 19 Mar 1954
Letter from J.D. Lee and Company to the Deseronto Medical Officer of Health, Dr W. H. Duffett, with two copies of blueprint relating to modifications to the septic tank of the Deseronto Public School, 4 Dec 1956
Collection of photographs from the Scott and Cooney families of Belleville, Ontario: 1) Streetcars and Tickell furniture factory on Foundry Street in Belleville, c.1895 2) Photograph of horses at the Quinte Exhibition grounds, c.1900 3-10) Photographs of the Quinte Exhibition (James Scott (1879-1947), the donor's grandfather, was the groundskeeper), c.1925 11) Page 9 and 10 of the S-A Conveyor, with photos from the Stephen-Adamson Christmas party, 1945 12) Photograph of children with Santa at a Stephens-Adamson Christmas party, c.1950 13) Photograph of Stephens-Adamson baseball team in front of the fountain at the Quinte Exhibition grounds (including Gordon Cooney, 1912-1968), c.1950 14) Gordon Cooney (father of Fay Bradshaw) and two other men having their hair cut at Seely's barber shop on Front Street in Belleville, c.1963
Series of 120 photographs of Deseronto, taken around 1995. Many are aerial shots, others are of individual houses. A few depict individuals: Don Lindsay, Dennis Vick, Dick Beare, Joe Carter, Ed Gordanier
'A Building Code for Smaller Municipalities' by the National Research Council of Canada, Ottawa, 1947
County of Hastings directories for 1983, 1984, 1985
County of Hastings receipts and expenditures statement, 1921
By-law to Regulate the Running At Large of Animals and for Other Purposes, Township of Tyendinaga, 6 August 1895
File of 'Deseronto Firsts' compiled by Ken Brown
File of photographs, press clippings and list of entrants in Deseronto's Easter Parade of 2006
16 photographs of empty lots in Deseronto, taken 2004
File of partial letters from Joe Goold to his sweetheart, Marnie, written while he was based in Detroit, 11 September to 11 October 1919, with blank postcards of Deseronto scenes and a letter from Elizabeth Goold to Bill Hunt concerning the letters
File on James Fairbairn including a newspaper extract and a studio photograph taken by him.
Typescript biography of Harry B. Free (Camp Rathbun flight instructor) by Margaret Crothers, 1991
File on the Dryden family, including a photograph of the Drydens at the Peterborough Lift Lock (https://flic.kr/p/9dmEYZ)
File of clippings about Gwen Lazier Braidwood, 2005
File of clippings about Deseronto mayor Glen Belcour, 1995-2002
Collection comprises: 1) Metal luggage tag “Deseronto Nav. Co. Ltd. Local 60”, c.1900 2) Fairbairn portrait of a group of young women, c.1900 3) Photograph of uniformed members of a Citizen's band (possibly the Napanee Citizen's Band), c.1900 4) Photo of Gibbards’ employees, Napanee (includes Wilfred French and his son), 1985
1) Newspaper clipping about the opening of Century Place in Belleville, Ontario, 26 March 1976 2) Brochure for Century Place, c.1976 3) Instructions for employees starting work in the Century Place building on 29 March 1976 4) Text of a talk on 'Hastings County & the Telephone' by R. W. Carleton, given to the Hastings County Historical Society on 15 February 1977