Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Foxboro Cheese Factory
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
The Foxboro Cheese Factory was incorporated in 1898 under founders John A. Holgate, James W. Gay, Robert Fenn, Thomas Leslie, William Goswell, Joseph Waldron, Hubert Hawley. It was located in Thurlow Township, County of Hastings, Ontario at 244 Ashley Street, Foxboro. The factory stood until a fire destroyed it in 1906, after which the factory's operations shifted to the Eclipse Cheese Factory for approximately one year until a new facility could be built. Hoping to gain a larger influence in the industry, the company joined the Cheese Factory Patrons Association.
After World War II, the factory saw that the British economy, which it been dependent on for exports, was no longer a viable option. As it rebuilt its own economic and social infrastructure in the wake of the destruction, the Foxboro Cheese Factory shifted its focus to the United States. It encouraged vendors to increasingly focus on targeting American tourists domestically, while updating their packaging to attract new customers and open new markets for export. The postwar period also proved to be a boon for the artisan value of Foxboro, as their reputation for quality was renowned. Foxboro Cheesemaker Horace Palmer scored the highest average scoring in Central Ontario for his cheeses in the late 1940s, culminating in the 1949 award for the best quality cheese in Eastern Ontario, which helped bring esteem and financial gain for the cooperative.
As operating costs and regional competition increased, which drove their market share down, Foxboro Cheese Factory's revenues decreased. This resulted in the company ceasing operations at the end of 1961. As part of the effort to maximize shareholders tenders, the cheesemaker's house was sold to Hans Laubert for 2,100 Canadian Dollars, whereas the factory, land, and equipment was sold to W.D. Cook. In 1961 Harold Elliott built and opened the new Foxboro Cheese Factory on 516 Harmony Rd, Corbyville. This factory eventually became Thurlow Township fire hall and is now the Gerry Masterson Community Centre.