CA ON00156 2018-019
- 1991-1999 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
1 colour photograph
Name of creator
The earliest recorded by-law No. 1 of the newly incorporated police village of Belleville (1836) outlined the fire regulations and safety measures for its residents. Able-bodied men were expected to assist with drawing the hand-pumped apparatus to the scene in all types of weather and bad road conditions. Every business and dwelling was expected to have a bucket to hand and assist with putting out fires.
By the 1860s the town of Belleville had horse-drawn equipment and a steam-powered pumping engine. The independent fire companies were under the direction of the Chief Engineer appointed by the town council. In 1878, a volunteer fire department was organized and the fire companies were merged into two with a Hook and Ladder company. Chief Engineer William H. Campbell was the first fire chief, serving in this capacity until his death in 1915.
The volunteer fire service that had protected Belleville since 1878 was organized on a permanent force basis on January 1, 1916 under Chief William Brown. At this time there were 10 men and two fire pumpers.
The 1920s was a transitional period for the Belleville Fire Department when the city approved the purchase of two motorized vehicles to replace horse-drawn equipment. The last horse was retired in 1926 with the purchase of a ladder truck.
From the 1920s onwards the Belleville Fire and Emergency Services has continued to respond to the changing needs of the municipality.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Donated by Carson Cross to Glanmore National Historic Site and transferred to Community Archives in March 2018.
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Digitized videos of fires and other activities involving the Fire Department of Belleville, Ontario:
- Chemical fire at Durabla Canada Limited, Belleville
- Fire at 188 Dundas Street East, Belleville, 16 March 1991
- Fire in the tower of City Hall, Belleville, 14 March 1993
- Fire at the Canadian Tavern, Belleville, 2 August 1993
- Fire at Holy Rosary Catholic School
- Rum Runner fire, 11 October 1995
- O.F.C. Certification
- Belvedere Fire, 24 November 1994
- 309 Front Street, Belleville (Ed Kafka law office)
- Quinte Secondary School Computer lab, 18 April 1996
- Quinte Exhibition, 29 August to 2 September 1996
- Quinte Exhibition 1997 Fire Fighters Night
- Belmont Restaurant fire, 5 May 1998
- Fire at 171 University Avenue, Belleville, 13 July 1999
- Fire at 37 Albion Street, Belleville
- Fire at 39 Great St. James Street, Belleville, 1 January 1996
- Fire at Journey's End warehouse, Belleville
Photograph of the former Galleons Restaurant at 135 North Front Street, closed for renovations, c.1992.