Área de identidad
Código de referencia
- 1914-1970 (Creación)
Nivel de descripción
Volumen y soporte
42 cm of textual records
1 cloth banner (108cm wide x 89cm high)
Área de contexto
Nombre del productor
The Women's Canadian Club of Belleville was formed on January 31, 1914 when a group of interested women met at the YMCA at 4 pm to arrange a Canadian Club for women. The purpose of the club was was to foster Canadian patriotism. This would be achieved by studying institutions, history, arts, literature, and natural resources. The object of the Club was to work for the progress and welfare of the nation. It was a member of the Association for Canadian Clubs.
The membership was open to all women interested in supporting the mission of the club. The structure of the executive was as follows: two past Presidents; one President; two or more Vice Presidents; one Secretary; on assistant Secretary; a Treasurer; and nine committees, each with their own chairperson. The standing committees were: speakers, membership, social, and publicity. They partnered with numerous local organizations such as the Belleville Public Library, the Glanmore Museum, and the Belleville Theatre Guild.
The Club actively supported Canadian troops in the Second World War by sending knit clothes and other goods in order to boost the morale of the soldiers. In 1963, the Club invited the men of Belleville to join due to to falling membership and increased costs, and changed their name to the Canadian Club of Belleville. Despite this, the Club still found difficulty attracting new members.
As a result of their tentative financial position, the club petitioned the Hastings Board of Education to gain status as a non-profit organization and received it in order to eliminate rental fees at Sir Winston Churchill Public School. They also had to raise fees to offset rising costs and inflation. However, the club failed to attract new members and eventually was forced to close in 1970.
The Presidents of the Club can be found in the executive series of documents. Notable speakers through the years have been: Margaret Lawrence; John Eaton; Lady Tweedsmuir; John Diefenbaker, and Pierre Trudeau. The first address was given by Sir John Martin Harvey on February 2, 1914 and the last was given on January 19, 1970 by Christian de Laet.
The documents were stored at Glanmore National Historic Site, as well as in the residence of Loreen Ellis. The Glanmore accession number was 973.035.001.
Origen del ingreso o transferencia
Área de contenido y estructura
Alcance y contenido
The Canadian Club of Belleville's fonds contains eight minute books and the following fourteen files:
materials related to the Association of Canadian Clubs including annual reports, invitations, policies and procedures, publications, and conference materials
two files of information pertaining to speakers presenting at the Canadian Club of Belleville
documents relating to the Club's executive
financial documents such as financial reports
regulations and governance papers of the Canadian Club of Belleville
items relating to the Club's membership
newsletters and other published materials distributed to members
newspaper clippings from special events and undertakings
real estate contracts
three folders of news clippings
*one cloth banner 'The Association of Canadian Clubs'
Valorización, destrucción y programación
Sistema de arreglo
Área de condiciones de acceso y uso
Condiciones de acceso
Idioma del material
Escritura del material
Notas sobre las lenguas y escrituras
Características físicas y requisitos técnicos
Instrumentos de descripción
Área de materiales relacionados
Existencia y localización de originales
Existencia y localización de copias
Unidades de descripción relacionadas
Área de notas
Puntos de acceso
Puntos de acceso por lugar
Puntos de acceso por autoridad
Tipo de puntos de acceso
Área de control de la descripción
Identificador de la descripción
Identificador de la institución
Reglas y/o convenciones usadas
Estado de elaboración
Nivel de detalle
Fechas de creación revisión eliminación
Entered by Nicholas VanExan, june 23, 2015.