- 1890 - 1969 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
1 sign 20x20cm
Name of creator
The Belleville Chamber of Commerce came to being in 1864 as the Belleville Board of Trade for Hastings County and initially every business in the county was obliged to join. In 1920, the Board of Trade changed its name to the Belleville Chamber of Commerce. Chambers of Commerce were eventually established in Quinte West, Madoc, and Tweed as they branched off from the Belleville unit.
There have been five locations in the history of the Chamber of Commerce. These include the current location in the historic log cabin at 5 Moira Street East. Previous locations include, a building near City Hall on Front Street which burned down in 1948, inside the City Hall building, a location on Campbell street, and 338 Pinnacle Street between Victoria and Station Streets.
A Belleville District Junior Chamber of Commerce was chartered in 1961. Known as the “Jaycees,” the first President at the time of inauguration was Zdenck Kvards. Over 600 local businesses were members of the Chamber of Commerce as of 2014. The organization also sponsors, nominates, and delivers the Belleville Citizen of the Year Award annually.
According to the information retrieved from the files collected by the Hastings County Historical Society, notable Presidents have been:
1931 – J.O. Hertz [Herrity?]
1956 – H.P.M. Cane
1958 – J.N. Yanover
1959 – J.C.R. Punchard
1960 – E. David
1961 – Jerry Wishart
1962 – W.T. Elliot
1963 – J.B. Corke
1969 – Hugh Murray
1970 – Jack Ireland
2014 – Andy Bridgeman
2014 President Elect – Tracy McCollum
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
- one file of correspondence including a press release, a ballot for the election for the 1968 election
- one file containing two newsletters from 1956 and the last page of another newsletter from 1958.
- one file of industrial brochures and promotional material containing three brochures circa 1953.
- one file has annual reports from 1922, 1954, 1955, and 1956 in it, and a better service survey from 1953.
- one file contains three guides about Belleville from 1950, three information guides for visitors to Belleville from 1961.
- one file of directories and maps from 1949 to 1963.
- two files containing "The Highlands of Hastings" travel brochures from 1940 to 1967, and a Quinte Isle tourist directory.
- one file containing files from the "Jaycees," also known as the Belleville Junior Chamber of Commerce.
- one file of material from the Belleville Board of Trade for Hastings County period in the organizations history.
- one file containing ephemera pieces including a sign indicating membership and a menu.
- one file contains various newspaper clippings.
- series of scrapbooks dedicated to the Chamber of Commerce.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Subject access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description control area
Rules and/or conventions used
Level of detail
Dates of creation revision deletion