Showing 1297 resultsGeauthoriseerde beschrijving
The Department of Mines of Canada was created in 1907.
Later, in 1936, it was reorganized as the Department of Mines and Resources.
In 1966, the department took on the role of energy development to become the Department of Energy, Mines and Resources.
In 1993, it merged with the Department of Forestry to become the Department of Natural Resources.
In 1916, the Department of Public Highways of Ontario was formed and took on the responsibility of establishing provincial highways.
On April 1, 1937, the Department of Northern Development was created and merged with the Department of Highways of Ontario.
In 1971, the Department of Highways assumed the responsibility for Communications, which prompted it to be renamed as the Ministry of Transportation and Communications in 1972.
It later became the Ministry of Transportation of Ontario in 1987.
- fl. 1937
- b. 25 Jan 1859 - d. 20 Jan 1915
Archibald was born on January 25, 1859 to parents Archibald Sr. and Mary Frances Patterson, at Belleville, Hastings, Ontario.
He trained as a land surveyor under Thomas Bolger, P.L.S., and then moved west in 1879 as assistant land surveyor to Bolger.
Throughout his career, Archibald was active in Regina and Northwest Territories as a Dominion Land Surveyor and as an architect.
He died at Edmonton, Alberta, on 20 January 1915 .
He was a cousin of Lt. Col. W.N. Ponton.
- fl. 1880
- b. 1789- d. 1857
Publius was born in the United States of America in 1789.
When he moved to Belleville, he worked as a Deputy Surveyor to chart Hastings County as it became incorporated. He had a significant role in forming Hastings, as demonstrated when he started surveying and constructing roads in Lake Township in North Hastings. In an 1829 petition, he signed for Prince Edward County (where he resided) to become a district.
In the 1830s, P.L.S. John Emerson was articled to/was a mentee of Publius'.
Publius married a local woman and was wed in Shannonville, Ontario - but was widowed prior to 1853.
Publius died in 1857 and was buried in Belleville.
- b. 10 March 1806 - d. 16 Aug. 1897
Frederick was born March 10, 1806 in London, England.
He later emigrated to Upper Canada in 1825 to study surveying.
In 1831, Frederick officially qualified as a provincial surveyor, later working for the Board of Works for the Province of Canada (Public Works).
He also dabbled in architecture, drafting several prominent buildings, including:
the conversion of Rideau Hall to the official residence of the governor general of Canada, the Montreal Court House and the Parliament buildings.
In 1872, Frederick received his dismissal from the government, as he was a civil servant over age 65. It is known that he was quite bitter over the event.
He died in Montreal on August 16, 1897.
- b. 15 Sept 1836 - d. 22 Apr 1909
William was born in Ernestown Township, in the county of Lennox and Addington, Ontario on September 15, 1836.
Although, he grew up on a farm and was educated in Newburgh, Ontario.
At 18 years old, he was employed as a school teacher but later studied surveying. He was articled to A.B. Perry for three years before successfully receiving his certifications on November 8, 1861.
In September of 1863, William married Christianna Herchmer, the daughter of Col. John Herchmer.
For five years he surveyed private and government land.
He was then employed by the Rathburn company for 25 years as a surveyor.
In 1871, he was Reeve of Deseronto and in 1871, 1881 and 1893 Warden of Hastings County.
He died in Belleville on April 22, 1909.
- b. 25 Oct 1833 - d. 11 Jul 1918
- 1 May 1960 -
The first public transit appeared on May 23, 1876 with 16 horses and drivers operating from 6:00am to 10:00pm.
Throughout the years, the service disappeared, appeared again and upgraded thanks to many different franchisees.
By 1924, Fred Rawson Sr. had started a one-bus transit system. When he died in 1935, his wife and son drove the buses.
After the second World War, revenues dropped and the family sold to the City of Belleville.
The Belleville Transit Commission was appointed by the Belleville City Council to form and maintain bus transportation under the "City of Belleville Act, 1960." During its first years, routes and equipment were heavily studied to form the foundation of the transit system that still runs today.