- fl. 1990s
The Young Women's Guild was formed under the auspices of the John Street United Church in Belleville, Ontario in 1931. Its aim was "to study and discuss current topics in the light of the principles of Jesus' teaching". Members prepared talks on topics of interest to members and a guest speaker was invited once a year to address the group. During the Depression they organized a School for Leisure in the church hall, as a place for people to meet and learn basic skills such as knitting, nutrition, carpentry, sewing, and bookkeeping.
The name of the organization was changed at the 29th March 1950 meeting to the Women's Guild.
The future of the Guild was discussed at a meeting held on 28th September 1998, when it was unanimously agreed that the Study Guild should cease to exist. The remaining funds of the organization were donated to Eastminster Church.
Lois Wishart was a resident of Belleville, Ontario and an active volunteer in the community. She married George Wishart in Pointe-Fortune United Church on 5th June 1929 in Quebec. She was president of the Women's Study Guild in Belleville several times in the history of that organization and looked after the group's archives when it was disbanded.
The first two concessions of Thurlow Township were surveyed in 1787 by Louis Kotte, by which time the land adjacent to the Bay of Quinte had already been partly settled by Loyalists. For municipal purposes it was joined with Sidney Township until 1798, when it held its own town meetings. Belleville became a separate town in 1836 and Thurlow's first township council met in 1850. In 1998 the two were reunited and Thurlow Ward became part of the enlarged City of Belleville.
Tyendinaga Township, Ontario, was formed through the alienation of land originally granted to the Mohawks of the Bay of Quinte in 1784 (confirmed by the Simcoe deed of 1793: https://docs.neb-one.gc.ca/ll-eng/llisapi.dll/fetch/2000/90464/90552/92263/790736/890819/956564/956846/995761/C24-4-6_-_Simcoe_Deed_A3K1G9.pdf?nodeid=994999&vernum=-2). The first four concessions of the township were surveyed in 1820 and the rear concessions in the 1840s. The settlement of Deseronto was separated from the Township in 1871 when it became a village.
Wikipedia article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Independent_Order_of_Odd_Fellows
Photographer in Belleville, Ontario.