Showing 1463 resultsPeople and Organizations
- Corporate body
The Quinte Branch of the Architectural Conservancy of Ontario was established in 1983 to buy the c.1817 McIntosh-Ridley House on South Front Street in Belleville, Ontario. The founding executive members were: Roy Turner, Rodger Greig, Tom Cruickshank, Alex Herlovitch and Heather McClune. The branch organizes architectural walking tours and talks about historic buildings in the Quinte Region.
- fl. 1832-
The Holton family were lumber merchants in Belleville, Ontario. Ezra Holton came to Belleville in 1832 and worked for Billa Flint before building his own successful business. Ezra built homes for his four children on the lot bordered by Bridge and Charles Streets in Belleville.
- b. 1887
Mabel Anna Fleming was born in Huntingdon Township, Hastings County, Ontario, in 1887. In 1914 she married Herbert James Gay in Stockdale, Murray Township, Northumberland.
- Corporate body
The County of Hastings was incorporated effective January 1, 1850 under the terms of Canada Statutes 1849, Chapter 78.
John Fairbairn Anderson was born in Nairn, Ontario to John Anderson (a Presbyterian pastor from Ireland) and Isabella Austin Stuart. In 1891 the family were living in Charlotte, New Brunswick. Isabella seems to have died in Toronto in 1893. In 1901 John Anderson senior died in Palmerston, Ontario. In the 1911 census John was lodging with Isabella Gardiner at 455 Hunter Street, Peterborough, with his siblings Stuart and Margaret. John was working as a machinist in a foundry. His brother enlisted in June 1915 and served in France with the Princess Patricia Canadian Light Infantry. He was killed at Ypres on 2nd June 1916 (http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/remembrance/memorials/canadian-virtual-war-memorial/detail/921793?Arthur%20Stuart%20Anderson). John Anderson signed up one month later. In 1921 he was back in Peterborough, still lodging with Isabella Gardiner, and working as a civil engineer.
Anderson was still living in Gilmour Street, Peterborough, in 1931 when he registered his friend Isabella Gardiner's death. In 1938 he was listed as living in Turnbull Street, Belleville, where he was a chief operator for Hydro, the electricity provider. He remained in that street until he died on 16 January 1963. His obituary was published in the Belleville Intelligencer of 21 January 1963 and it reads as follows:
"After an illness of a few days' duration John Fairburn Anderson of 33 Turnbull St., passed away in the Belleville General Hospital last Wednesday evening in his seventy-seventh year. Son of the late Rev. John Anderson and Isabella Stewart, Mr. Anderson was born at Nairn, near Ailsa Craig, Ontario.
"Having lived some of his early years in California and Chicago he came to Belleville in 1911 as an employee of the Ontario Hydro. At the time of his retirement from the Hydro fourteen years ago he had advanced to the position of Operating Superintendent of the East Central Region of the Hydro. He served with the Cobourg Heavy Battery overseas in the First World War.
"Mr. Anderson was deeply interested in classical music and had one of the largest record collections in this part of the province. Although not an executant of any musical instrument he had a very acute musical intelligencer [sic] and a high degree of knowledge in things pertaining to this art. Over the years untold numbers of local residents and district acquaintances gathered at his home to spend evenings of satisfying enjoyment listening to the music of their choice through the medium of his vast record collection. He had a very kind disposition and will be sorely missed by scores of friends that knew him and respected him for his sagacity and humility.
"Mr. Anderson was a life member of Moira Lodge, A.F. and A.M., No. 11 and just a short time ago was presented with his 50-Year Jewel in the Masonic order.
"Surviving him are two sisters, Miss Elsie Anderson of Peterborough, and Miss Margaret Anderson of Toronto.
"His funeral was held from the Comstock Funeral Home in Peterborough with Rev. Stanley Gibson of St. Andrew's United Church, officiating, both there and at the committal ceremony at Little Lake cemetery, Peterborough.
"The honorary bearers were: F. D. Kerr, Q.C., Hugh Waddell, Robert Beal and Hamilton Munro of Peterborough, and Carl Fisher of Belleville.
Many friends from Belleville were present to pay their final respects to this departed true companion whom they knew simply as 'John.'"
Harry J. Clarke was a teacher and school inspector in Belleville, Ontario. The Harry J. Clarke Public School is named after him.
- Corporate body
The Moira Cheese Factory Company was formed in 1869 in the village of Moira, Hastings County, Ontario.
- Corporate body
The Village of Trenton, Ontario, was incorporated through a Proclamation effective January 1, 1853 under the terms of the Baldwin Act, Chapter 81, Canada Statutes, 1849.
Adopted son of Billa Flint, John J. B. Flint became a lawyer and was Police Magistrate of Belleville for 20 years and Magistrate of Hastings County for nine years. He was elected Mayor of Belleville in 1872.
Robert Wallace was born in Kirknewton, near Edinburgh, Scotland on 6th March 1855. His family left Scotland for New Zealand in 1862, arriving on September 20th. In 1870 he started work at the Dunedin water works office. He resigned in May 1879 and went to London, where he studied at Spurgeon's College with the aim of becoming a missionary. He visited Belleville in 1882 and stayed with Ellen Bilbrough, assisting with her work at the Marchmont Home. Wallace married Bilbrough in Croydon, Surrey, on 15th February 1887. He continued to work at the Marchmont Home until 1913, when he left Belleville for Toronto. From 1915 to 1929 Wallace served at the Canadian Treasurer for the China Inland Mission. He died on 18th October 1932 in Toronto.
Matron of the Marchmont Home in Belleville, Ontario.
- Corporate body
Hastings East District first met in 1901. It was an umbrella organization for Women's Institutes branches in the east of Hastings County, Ontario.
The branches covered by the District and their dates of foundation were:
Melrose, March 1902
Quinte, August 1907
Roslin, December 1908
Plainfield, March 1910
Bethel Zion, 1912
Tyendinaga East, February 1929
Moira, April 1946
Carmel, March 1949
Foxboro, May 1949
Cannifton, April 1950
Chapman's, May 1950
Parkdale, November 1953
See http://fwio.on.ca/structure/hastings-district for information on the institutes currently covered by its successor, Hastings District.
- fl. 1968