The Fink family lived in Belleville, Ontario.
The Fink family lived in Belleville, Ontario.
The Foxboro Cheese Factory was incorporated in 1898 under founders John A. Holgate, James W. Gay, Robert Fenn, Thomas Leslie, William Goswell, Joseph Waldron, Hubert Hawley. It was located in Thurlow Township, County of Hastings, Ontario on Harmony Road at Highway 62. The factory stood until a fire destroyed it in 1906, after which the factory's operations shifted to the Eclipse Cheese Factory for approximately one year until a new facility could be built. Hoping to gain a larger influence in the industry, the company joined the Cheese Factory Patrons Association.
After World War II, the factory saw that the British Economy, which it been dependent on for exports, was no longer a viable option, as it rebuilt its own economic and social infrastructure in the wake of the destruction, the Foxboro Cheese Factory shifted its focus to the United States. It encouraged vendors to increasingly focus on targeting American tourists domestically, while updating their packaging to attract new customers and open new markets for export. The postwar period also proved to be a boon for the artisan value of Foxboro, as their reputation for quality was renowned. Foxboro Cheesemaker Horace Palmer scored the highest average scoring in Central Ontario for his cheeses in the late 1940s, culminating in the 1949 award for the best quality cheese in Eastern Ontario, which helped bring esteem and financial gain for the cooperative.
As operating costs and regional competition increased, which drove their market share down, Foxboro Cheese Factory's revenues decreased. This resulted in the company ceasing operations at the end of 1961. As part of the effort to maximize shareholders tenders, the Cheesemakers house was sold to Hans Laubert for 2,100 Canadian Dollars, whereas the factory, land, and equipment was sold to W.D. Cook. The factory eventually became the Thurlow Ward Fire Hall.
Huntingdon East Women's Institute was established in 1946 in Moira, Hastings County, Ontario.
Huntingdon Township Council was established in 1850. In 1998 it merged with the Village of Madoc to form the Municipality of Centre Hastings.
Organization website: https://cfuwbelleville.com/
Russwin was formed in 1839 by Henry Russel and Cornelius Erwin in New Britain, Connecticut. P & F Corbin was formed in the same city in 1849 by Philip and Frank Corbin in partnership with Ed Doen. The two companies merged in 1902 to form the American Hardware Company which continued to produce locks under the two former division names.
In 1885, William Charles Springer opened a building hardware factory in Peterborough, Ontario. In 1901 he moved to Belleville, Ontario and leased the Chown factory, establishing the Belleville Hardware Company at 237 Pinnacle Street. He left the Belleville Hardware Company in 1910 and after receiving 250 shares worth $100 each for Brass and Steel Goods Ltd from H.C. Hunt, started the Springer Lock Company located at 180 Coleman Street in Belleville. From 1910 to 1917, W.C. Springer was the Managing Director, while Sir Mackenzie Bowell was President. Springer took over both positions after Bowell's death. In 1910, the Belleville Hardware Company changed its name to The Belleville Lock Company.
In 1931, Springer Lock Company was sold to the American Hardware Company and began to make locks under the division name of Corbin Lock Company of Canada. The Belleville Lock Company was also bought out at this time becoming the Belleville-Sargent and Co. Limited.
Both the Belleville-Sargent Lock Company and the Peterborough Lock Manufacturing Company were bought by the American Hardware Company in 1947. In 1956 the American Hardware Company was renamed the International Hardware Company, with the factories in Canada operating under the name IHC of Canada Limited. It continued to manufacture locks at the 180 Coleman location until its closure in 1988. The majority of the buildings on the site were demolished in 1989.
The factory was founded in Belleville, ontario by William Charles Springer in 1910. In 1931 he sold it to the American Hardware Company.
Born in Cleveland, Ohio, William Springer spent his entire working life in the hardware business. In 1885, he helped found the Peterborough Lock Manufacturing Company. After a return to the United States, William returned to Canada, settling in Belleville Ontario in 1901. He leased the Chown Factory at 237 Pinnacle Street and co-established the Belleville Hardware Company. In 1910, he left the Belleville Hardware Co. and after receiving 250 shares worth $100 each from H.C. Hunt for the Brass and Steel Goods Ltd, he established the Springer Lock Manufacturing Company located at 180 Coleman Street. He was the Managing Director there until he sold the company to the American Hardware Company in 1931. In 1917 he took on the position of President after the death of the original President, Sir Mackenzie Bowell. He died in Belleville on 30th August 1956.
William Dack is a life-long resident of Belleville, Ontario.
The Ontario Association of Agricultural Societies District 3 was formed in February 1911 in Castleton.
Philip Herbert Etter was born in Halifax, Nova Scotia on July 14th, 1924, and later settled in Belleville, Ontario. As a young man he worked in the offices of steamship agents, Pickford and Black. During World War Two he served with the Royal Canadian Merchant Navy. He joined the crew of Her Majesty's Number One Canadian hospital ship, Lady Nelson, a hospital ship, on April 21, 1943 as a Junior Purser and made several Atlantic crossings totalling 160,000 sea miles. They would travel over to the Mediterranean, pick up troops from the battlefields, transport them to England and then take convalescents to Halifax or Montreal. He wrote an account of his time at sea. After the war, Philip worked hard to help get recognition for the veterans who had served in the Canadian Merchant Navy and enable them to be eligible for the same benefits as the Navy veterans. He was the eastern region director of the Canadian Merchant Navy Veterans Association and its representative on the National Council of Veterans Associations in Canada. He died at the Belleville General Hospital on August 6th, 2016.