Showing 1470 results

People and Organizations

Neal (family)

  • Family
  • fl. 1937

Phyllis and George Neal lived in Mountain View, Prince Edward County. George died of a heart attack while serving in the Second World War.

Gee (family)

  • Family
  • 1947-

The Gee family settled in Belleville, Ontario, in the 1940s and started a gold leaf manufacturing business from their home at 14 Bettes Street.

Barlow (family)

  • Family
  • 1792-

Jesse Barlow married Rachel Parfoot in Brooke, Norfolk, England on 30 October 1792. They had at least eight children: John (born 1793), William, Elizabeth, Susannah, Robert, Hannah, Isaac and George (born 16 April 1814). George moved to Canada before 1839 and farmed 35 acres of land forming part of lot 7 in the first concession of Thurlow Township. He married a woman called Mary Ann and in the 1871 census they had nine children living with them. George died on 2 April 1894 and was buried in the Belleville cemetery. His wife died in 1920.

Hall (family)

  • Family

James Montgomery Hall was born in St. Peter Port in the Channel Island of Guernsey in 1851, the son of Stewart Hall and Margaret (née Johnson). Stewart was a tailor and James and his brother John followed his career. In 1881 James and John were residing at a hotel in Trenton, Hastings County, Ontario. In June of that year, James married Emma Johnson (1857-1937) of Trenton in Brighton, Ontario. By 1891 the couple were living in Deseronto, Ontario, with their two daughters, Evelyn 'Tottie' (b. 1882) and Flossie (b. 1887). James was continuing to work as a tailor. The Halls had a third child, Gordon, in 1894. They lived at 426 Thomas Street.

James died on August 4, 1919. His daughter Flossie became a school teacher and married Thomas Chalmers in Deseronto in 1926. The couple had one daughter, Frances.

Sidney South Women's Institute

  • Corporate body
  • 1961-1998

The Sidney South Women's Institute was formed in November 1961 in the southern part of Sidney Township, Ontario. It was closed in 1998.

Chatterton Women's Institute

  • Corporate body
  • 1905-1976

Chatterton Women's Institute was organized in 1905 in Sidney township, Ontario. It was closed in 1976.

Kitchener's Red Cross Society

  • Corporate body
  • 1917-1919

The Kitchener's Red Cross society was organized in the Wallbridge area of Hastings County and held its first meeting on 16 October 1917 and the home of Mrs. Nelson Beatty. The group made trench caps, bed socks and property bags for troops overseas.

Scott's Women's Institute

  • Corporate body
  • 1919-1924

The Scott's Women's Institute was organized on 24 April 1919 at the home of Mrs. Rufus Spencer in the Frankford area of Sidney township, Hastings County, Ontario. The first president was Mrs. Nelson Beatty.

Bancroft Public Library

  • Corporate body
  • 1901-1909, 1918-

The first library was located at W.N. Simmons' Tailor Shop, later at Athens High School. In 1918, the Women's Institute made a library their first peacetime project. Beginning as a small travelling library, it later was established in the basement room of the Community Hall, built originally as a jail, until it moved in 1960 to 14 Flint Avenue. (Reynolds, Nila. Bancroft: A Bonanza of Memories. Bancroft, Bancroft Centennial Committee, 1979, pp. 161-165)

Community Archives of Belleville and Hastings County

  • Corporate body
  • 2010-

The Community Archives was established in 2010, as a result of an agreement between the City of Belleville, the County of Hastings, and the Hastings County Historical Society. Its remit is to collect, preserve and make available the records collected by the three founding organizations and other materials which reflect the people and communities of Belleville and Hastings County.

Village of Stirling

  • Corporate body
  • 1858-1997

The Village of Stirling in Hastings County, Ontario was incorporated as a municipality in 1858. In 1998 it was amalgamated with the Township of Rawdon to become part of the Township of Stirling-Rawdon.

Harold Cheese Manufacturing Company

  • Corporate body
  • c. 1888-1990

The Harold Cheese Manufacturing Company was on Harold Road in Rawdon Township, Hastings County, Ontario. In May 1990 it was sold to Keith Henry of Henry Foods.

Windswept Productions

  • Corporate body
  • 1989-

Video production company based in Belleville, Ontario.

Results 1 to 20 of 1470