Showing 1370 results

People and Organizations

Belleville Fire Department

  • Corporate body
  • 1836-

The earliest recorded by-law No. 1 of the newly incorporated police village of Belleville (1836) outlined the fire regulations and safety measures for its residents. Able-bodied men were expected to assist with drawing the hand-pumped apparatus to the scene in all types of weather and bad road conditions. Every business and dwelling was expected to have a bucket to hand and assist with putting out fires.
By the 1860s the town of Belleville had horse-drawn equipment and a steam-powered pumping engine. The independent fire companies were under the direction of the Chief Engineer appointed by the town council. In 1878, a volunteer fire department was organized and the fire companies were merged into two with a Hook and Ladder company. Chief Engineer William H. Campbell was the first fire chief, serving in this capacity until his death in 1915.
The volunteer fire service that had protected Belleville since 1878 was organized on a permanent force basis on January 1, 1916 under Chief William Brown. At this time there were 10 men and two fire pumpers.
The 1920s was a transitional period for the Belleville Fire Department when the city approved the purchase of two motorized vehicles to replace horse-drawn equipment. The last horse was retired in 1926 with the purchase of a ladder truck.
From the 1920s onwards the Belleville Fire and Emergency Services has continued to respond to the changing needs of the municipality.

Belleville Garden Club

  • Corporate body
  • 1876-

Originally established as the Belleville Horticultural Society on January 5, 1876, the Belleville Garden Club took on its present name in 1973 to reflect the change in emphasis from rural to urban interests. The Belleville Garden Club is a volunteer, not-for-profit organization interested in growing flowers, vegetables, shrubs and trees for pleasure. The club's mandate is to inform, educate and beautify, both for the knowledge and interest of the members and for that of the community at large.

Over the years, the Belleville Garden Club has undertaken a variety of annual projects such as the Big Dig, a sale of chrysanthemums, and the Trillium Awards, a program in which city gardens were judged by club members with the best publicly rewarded. A Memorial Garden was established in 1988 and dedicated two years later, the intention being to provide a place of reflection and quiet meditation for those who had lost club members.

Belleville Harbour Commission

  • Corporate body
  • 1889-1978

The Belleville Harbour Commission was established in 1889 by the Harbour Commissioners Act, Chapter 35. The Harbour Commissioners and Mayor were to appoint the Harbour Master with the approval of the Minister of Marine and Fisheries. The harbour and Port of Belleville were afforded the ability to collect harbour dues in 1870 through a by-law enacted by the Treasury Board of Canada. After the charter of the Commission in 1889, the by-laws and regulations were approved by the Governor General in 1911 and they were carried forward in 1947. The Harbour Commission was dissolved by a Federal decision in 1978.

W. C. Mikel lists the following Harbour Masters in his history of the City of Belleville:

  • 1889 Alexander Waters
  • 1891 D. Collins
  • 1904 Sidney Vandervoort
  • 1912 George Dulmage
  • 1922 J. H. Carr
  • 1931 Robert Goudy
  • 1936 Joseph Waddell

George Oliver Tice took over from Joseph Waddell in 1945. He was listed as Harbour Master in the 1959 Vernon's Directory of Belleville. Mac Smith held the position in 1961 and 1963, with Don J. Barrett in the role in 1972 and 1974. In the 1986 directory, the post was not listed, suggesting that the Commission had been dissolved by that date.

Belleville Hardware Company

  • Corporate body
  • 1901-1910

Co-founded by William Charles Springer after leasing the Chown Factory. Located at 270 Pinnacle St. in Belleville. Remained in operation until it was re-named in 1910 to the Belleville Lock Company Ltd.

Belleville Lions Club

  • Corporate body
  • 1953-

The Belleville Lions Club was incorporated in 1953.

Belleville Oral History Project

  • Corporate body
  • 1975, 2008

The Belleville Oral History Project was undertaken as a Community Involvement Project/Opportunities for Youth in cooperation with the Hastings County Historical Society. The project was overseen by Professor Sali Tagliamonte of the University of Toronto and the interviews were conducted by Nancy Foster, Robert Miller, Evelyn Sine and Dave Masters.

Results 101 to 120 of 1370