Showing 1370 results

People and Organizations

Bedell, Bruce

  • Person
  • 1936-2014

Bruce William Bedell was born in Belleville in 1936. He was an educator with a love of history, dramatic arts and the outdoors. He was a graduate of Belleville Collegiate Institute and Vocational School and served a year in the Royal Canadian Air Force before becoming a teacher. His first classroom was in Wilberforce, between Haliburton and Bancroft. Bedell lived in Dryden, Sault Ste. Marie and London before setting back in Belleville in 2004. He became Town Crier for Belleville in 2004 and a member of the Hastings County Historical Society. He died in 2014

Obituary in the Belleville Intelligencer: http://www.intelligencer.ca/2014/10/07/belleville-loses-biggest-voice

Bel-Con Design-Builders

  • Corporate body
  • 1973-

A construction company founded in Belleville, Ontario by Bill White and Barry Brown in 1973.

Bell, Aaron

  • Person
  • fl. 2014

Aaron Bell is a graphic designer and videographer from Belleville, Ontario.

Belleville & District Shrine Club

  • Corporate body
  • 1946-

The Belleville & District Shrine Club was incorporated in 1946. Its headquarters are at 51 Highland Avenue, Belleville, Ontario, a property built in 1881 by barrister Nathaniel Baldwin Falkiner (1838-1905).

Belleville Arena Company Limited

  • Corporate body
  • 1929-

The Belleville Arena Company was formed to construct an arena in downtown Belleville, Ontario.

Belleville Business College

  • Corporate body
  • 1889-c.1915

The Belleville Business College was established in 1889. It had premises on the east side of Front Street in Belleville, Ontario, and offered training in commercial skills such as typewriting, shorthand, penmanship, and bookkeeping. The college is listed in the 1913 Vernon's Directory of Belleville, but not in the 1918 edition.

Belleville Chamber of Commerce

  • Corporate body
  • 1864-

The Belleville Chamber of Commerce came to being in 1864 as the Belleville Board of Trade for Hastings County and initially every business in the county was obliged to join. In 1920, the Board of Trade changed its name to the Belleville Chamber of Commerce. Chambers of Commerce were eventually established in Quinte West, Madoc, and Tweed as they branched off from the Belleville unit.

There have been five locations in the history of the Chamber of Commerce. These include the current location in the historic log cabin at 5 Moira Street East. Previous locations include, a building near City Hall on Front Street which burned down in 1948, inside the City Hall building, a location on Campbell street, and 338 Pinnacle Street between Victoria and Station Streets.

A Belleville District Junior Chamber of Commerce was chartered in 1961. Known as the “Jaycees,” the first President at the time of inauguration was Zdenck Kvards. Over 600 local businesses were members of the Chamber of Commerce as of 2014. The organization also sponsors, nominates, and delivers the Belleville Citizen of the Year Award annually.

According to the information retrieved from the files collected by the Hastings County Historical Society, notable Presidents have been:
1931 – J.O. Hertz [Herrity?]
1956 – H.P.M. Cane
1958 – J.N. Yanover
1959 – J.C.R. Punchard
1960 – E. David
1961 – Jerry Wishart
1962 – W.T. Elliot
1963 – J.B. Corke
1969 – Hugh Murray
1970 – Jack Ireland
2014 – Andy Bridgeman
2014 President Elect – Tracy McCollum

Belleville Collegiate Institute and Vocational School

  • Corporate body
  • 1928-2004

The cornerstone of Belleville Collegiate Institute and Vocational School on Church Street in Belleville, Ontario, was laid on 5 October 1927. The school officially opened on 12 December 1928. The school closed its doors to students in 1992 and stood empty for twelve years. It was eventually demolished in 2004.

Belleville District Runners Association

  • Corporate body
  • 1984-

The Association was formed in 1984 under President Larry Boyle. It was renamed the Belleville Runners Club at some point in the 1990s.

Results 81 to 100 of 1370