Showing 1511 results

People and Organizations

Forin, Terence

  • Person
  • 1935-2010

Terence (Terry) Peter Forin was born on August 21, 1935 in Edmonton, Alberta. He lived in Victoria, British Columbia and worked as an Interior Design Consultant. He died on May 19, 2010 in Victoria British Columbia. He was the great-grandson of John Forin, original builder of Belleville's City Hall.

Mikel, William Charles

  • Person
  • 1866-1950

William Charles Mikel was born in Belleville in 1866 and attended Belleville High School, and later Albert College. His post-secondary career began at Ontario Business College and culminated upon receiving his Bachelor of Civil Law degree from Toronto's Trinity College. Upon graduating he took up practice in Belleville where he achieved acclaim early on in his career as he successfully defended James Kane against a murder charge.

Mikel was named Master of the Supreme Court of Canada for Belleville in 1928. He served as Crown Prosecutor throughout the Province of Ontario, as well as appearing before both the Provincial Legislature and the House of Commons. Of note amongst his government cases, Mikel was a member of Counsel for the Farmers Bank of Canada. In addition to this, Mikel was named King's Council in 1908 and was named head of the Ontario Municipal Association in 1907 and 1908. He was among those who founded the Ontario Bar Association and was named its President in 1911 and 1912.

Mikel's public service is well noted as he was named Auditor and City Solicitor as well as being elected an Alderman for the City Belleville. In 1924 he was elected Mayor of Belleville with the largest majority the city had seen municipally or parliamentary. In 1925 he was elected once again, with a larger majority than the mandate he earned in 1924.

Mikel was a Captain in the 15th Battalion, Argyll Light Infantry and upon the eruption of World War I, he volunteered for service but was turned down. Despite not being allowed to participate in the war, he nonetheless was able to recruit local organizations to mobilize their resources for use overseas. He also was active in local and national fraternal organizations. These include serving as the Master of the Moira Masonic Lodge, the Council Commander of the Woodmen of the World, President of the Canadian Fraternal Association from 1918 to 1919, Vice-President of the United Empire Loyalist Association of Canada in 1928, and Vice President of the Ontario Magistrates Association in 1928.

Mayor Mikel was also an avid local historian. He set about writing one of the first recorded histories of Belleville, The City of Belleville History which was published in 1943. One of his ambitions was to see a "Quinte City" constructed, amalgamating villages, towns, and cities around the Bay of Quinte in Hastings and Prince Edward Counties. He died at his William Street home in 1950, and was survived by his wife Lillian and his daughter Audrey Milne-Jeffrey. Mikel Street in Northeast Belleville is named after him.

Woodley (family)

  • Family
  • 1904-

James Woodley was born in 1821 in Stratton, Cornwall, England. He was a mason by trade, but switched to fur-cutting when he moved to Canada. His son, George Thomas Woodley, established Woodley's furriers at 273 Front Street, Belleville, Ontario, in 1904 and the firm remained in the family for three generations, closing its doors in the late 1980s.

Zandbergen, Lewis

  • Person
  • 1949-2016

Lewis Zandbergen was a local historian and collector. He was a former president of the Stirling-Rawdon Historical Society and Chair of the Stirling Public Library Board.

Uniondale Women's Institute

  • Corporate body

Uniondale Women's Institute was based in Sidney Township, Hastings County.

Fink (family)

  • Family

The Fink family lived in Belleville, Ontario.

Smith (family)

  • Family

Frank Smith was born October 3rd, 1874 to Henry Smith and Eliza McCullough and died in 1951. Frank Smith owned a Ford dealership and garage in Madoc, Ontario. According to the family tree found in the fonds he was married 3 times and had three children, two by Lily May Oliver and one by Anne Mabel McCaw. His two sons, born to Lily May Oliver, were Leonard F. Smith and Miles R. Smith. Leonard was born in 1895 and died 1911. It is unknown when Miles was born but he passed away in 1942. Mary Elizabeth Smith, Frank Smith's daughter, was born to Anne Mabel McCaw in 1921. Elizabeth Ann (Lib) Baker was born in 1940. Her great uncle was Frank Smith. Her great grandfather was Ezra Everett Smith (1888-1963) Frank Smith's brother. The Smith family lived in Hastings County their entire lives.

Quinte Women's Institute

  • Corporate body

Quinte Women's Institute was organized on August 7, 1907 at Cleize schoolhouse on Highway 2 east of Pt. Anne Lane. Meetings were held on the second Tuesday of each month in the home of one of its members. The institute was disbanded in 1994.

Prince Edward Belleville Ladies Club

  • Corporate body

The Prince Edward Belleville Ladies Club was founded in 1943 and was originally called the Sunshine Group. The Club began for women living in Prince Edward County, later expanding its boundaries to include the Belleville area. The Prince Edward Belleville Ladies Club raised money for community projects, made charitable donations to organizations, attended guest speaches, and researched local history. The Club was active for 56 years, officially closing in 1999.

Paudash Women's Institute

  • Corporate body

The Paudash Women's Institute was in the North Hastings W.I. district in Ontario. It was formed in 1947 and disbanded in 1978.

Belleville Collegiate Institute and Vocational School

  • Corporate body
  • 1928-2004

The cornerstone of Belleville Collegiate Institute and Vocational School on Church Street in Belleville, Ontario, was laid on 5 October 1927. The school officially opened on 12 December 1928. The school closed its doors to students in 1992 and stood empty for twelve years. It was eventually demolished in 2004.

Donnan, Bryson Carlyle

  • Person
  • 1895-1963

Bryson Carlyle Donnan was born in St. Catharines, Ontario, the son of Samuel Donnan and Elizabeth (née Bryson) on 31 March 1895. He signed up to serve in the Canadian Expeditionary Force in September 1914, when he was working as a schoolteacher. He was commissioned a lieutenant at the Battle of the Somme. He became a barrister in 1920 and was the senior partner in the law firm of Donnan and Butler, becoming a King's Counsel in 1933 and Crown Attorney for Hastings County.

Donnan continued his association with the military, becoming a lieutenant in the Hastings and Prince Edward Regiment. He became a captain in the regiment in 1921, major in 1925 and in 1937 was promoted to lieutenant-colonel and was given command of the First Battalion. In 1942 he took over command of the 9th Anti-Tank Regiment, and remained in that post until he retired from the military in 1945. He continued as Crown Attorney of Hastings County until 1954.

Bryson Carlyle Donnan was a Freemason, an honorary director of the Belleville Club and a member of the Bay of Quinte Yacht Club. He died in Belleville General Hospital on 25 February 1963 and was survived by his wife, Connie, and three sons.

Stinson, Harold

  • Person
  • fl. 1927-1965

Harold Stinson was a taxi driver and later a service station owner in Trenton, Ontario. In 1927-1928 he was employed in driving members of the cast and crew of the 'Carry On Sergeant!' movie from their lodgings to the sets of the film.

Quinte Cultural Centre

  • Corporate body
  • 1997-2003

The Quinte Cultural Centre at Belleville Collegiate Institute and Vocational School (BCIVS) was a non-profit corporation composed of concerned citizens in Belleville, Ontario and vicinity whose primary objective was to develop a cultural and information centre in the vacant BCIVS. Registered as a charitable organization in October 1997, it was incorporated as a not-for-profit organization in October 1998. BCIVS 2000, also registered as a charitable organization and a not-for-profit corporation registered in Ontario, was the steering committee for the development of the Quinte Cultural Centre.

Morrison (family)

  • Family

The Morrison family lived in Tweed, Ontario, in the early twentieth century.

Moira-Schuster Ltd.

  • Corporate body

There was a coal dock at the end of Front Street in Belleville, Ontario, from 1850, when it was owned by the Rathbun Lumber and Coal Company. In 1905 the company moved to Deseronto and the coal portion was purchased by William E. Schuster and Walter Belair. Belair bought out his partner in 1930 and sold the firm to Canadian Fuels Ltd. in 1934. In 1954 the Schuster Company purchased Moira Fuels Ltd. from A. McLean Haig and the company was named Moira-Schuster Ltd. They stopped selling coal in 1969 and the coal dock on Front Street was sold in 1973. A ten-storey apartment block was built on the site.

Results 1481 to 1500 of 1511