Showing 1376 results

People and Organizations

Waldorf, William H.

  • Person
  • 1865-1937

William Horace Waldorf was born in Trenton on September 7th, 1865, the son of James Waldorf and Minerva Hollister. He married Edith Emily Cathcart and the couple had two sons. Waldorf was the proprietor of W.H. Waldorf Grocer in Trenton at the turn of the 20th Century. He died at 30 Burton Street, Belleville on December 14th, 1937.

Woodley (family)

  • Family
  • 1904-

James Woodley was born in 1821 in Stratton, Cornwall, England. He was a mason by trade, but switched to fur-cutting when he moved to Canada. His son, George Thomas Woodley, established Woodley's furriers at 273 Front Street, Belleville, Ontario, in 1904 and the firm remained in the family for three generations, closing its doors in the late 1980s.

Zandbergen, Lewis

  • Person
  • 1949-2016

Lewis Zandbergen was a local historian and collector. He was a former president of the Stirling-Rawdon Historical Society and Chair of the Stirling Public Library Board.

Victoria Cheese and Butter Manufacturing Company

  • Corporate body
  • 1905-1963

The Victoria Cheese and Butter Manufacturing Association opened in 1905 on Lot 4, Concession 11 in Hungerford Township, Hastings County. The various officers operated the joint-stock corporation continuously until 1963.

The first President of the Victoria Cheese and Butter Manufacturing Company was Robert Sayers (1901 – 1904). His successors are as follows:

William Gordon (1905 – 1911) Joseph Bateman (1913) Herbert Sayers (1913 – 1922) Wesley Bodgely (1922 – 1925) S. McRea (1926 – 1929) Clarence Graham (1930 – 1932)
*W. E. Bateman (1933 – 1942).

The company ceased operations in 1963 because of a lapse in their insurance coverage, and the stakeholders were reimbursed.

Uniondale Women's Institute

  • Corporate body

Uniondale Women's Institute was based in Sidney Township, Hastings County.

Fink (family)

  • Family

The Fink family lived in Belleville, Ontario.

Smith (family)

  • Family

Frank Smith was born October 3rd, 1874 to Henry Smith and Eliza McCullough and died in 1951. Frank Smith owned a Ford dealership and garage in Madoc, Ontario. According to the family tree found in the fonds he was married 3 times and had three children, two by Lily May Oliver and one by Anne Mabel McCaw. His two sons, born to Lily May Oliver, were Leonard F. Smith and Miles R. Smith. Leonard was born in 1895 and died 1911. It is unknown when Miles was born but he passed away in 1942. Mary Elizabeth Smith, Frank Smith's daughter, was born to Anne Mabel McCaw in 1921. Elizabeth Ann (Lib) Baker was born in 1940. Her great uncle was Frank Smith. Her great grandfather was Ezra Everett Smith (1888-1963) Frank Smith's brother. The Smith family lived in Hastings County their entire lives.

Sidney Cheese and Butter Factory Association

  • Corporate body

The Sidney Cheese and Butter Factory Manufacturing Association was founded in 1893 by John R. Brower, Wellington Crouter, Lemuel Hogle, W.R. Vandervoort, Samuel Traverton, Peter Goldsmith, Fred A. Spafford. The factory was located in Sidney Township, County of Hastings, on Lot 22, in the 3rd Concession. The Association operated until it ceased operations in 1951 to pay creditors. President's of the association included: John Brower (1893-1898), A. V. Hogle (1899-1900), J.M. Farley (1900- ), U.A. Thrasher (1930-1932), Arthur Bunnet (1932-1933, 1935), J.W. Bailey (1934), Carmen Grills (1937-1941), Stanley Spafford (1942-1944), Ernest Kells (1945-1948), and Everett Hubbard (1948-1951).

Quinte Women's Institute

  • Corporate body

Quinte Women's Institute was organized on August 7, 1907 at Cleize schoolhouse on Highway 2 east of Pt. Anne Lane. Meetings were held on the second Tuesday of each month in the home of one of its members. The institute was disbanded in 1994.

Prince Edward Belleville Ladies Club

  • Corporate body

The Prince Edward Belleville Ladies Club was founded in 1943 and was originally called the Sunshine Group. The Club began for women living in Prince Edward County, later expanding its boundaries to include the Belleville area. The Prince Edward Belleville Ladies Club raised money for community projects, made charitable donations to organizations, attended guest speaches, and researched local history. The Club was active for 56 years, officially closing in 1999.

Paudash Women's Institute

  • Corporate body

The Paudash Women's Institute was in the North Hastings W.I. district in Ontario. It was formed in 1947 and disbanded in 1978.

Belleville Collegiate Institute and Vocational School

  • Corporate body
  • 1928-2004

The cornerstone of Belleville Collegiate Institute and Vocational School on Church Street in Belleville, Ontario, was laid on 5 October 1927. The school officially opened on 12 December 1928. The school closed its doors to students in 1992 and stood empty for twelve years. It was eventually demolished in 2004.

Donnan, Bryson Carlyle

  • Person
  • 1895-1963

Bryson Carlyle Donnan was born in St. Catharines, Ontario, the son of Samuel Donnan and Elizabeth (née Bryson) on 31 March 1895. He signed up to serve in the Canadian Expeditionary Force in September 1914, when he was working as a schoolteacher. He was commissioned a lieutenant at the Battle of the Somme. He became a barrister in 1920 and was the senior partner in the law firm of Donnan and Butler, becoming a King's Counsel in 1933 and Crown Attorney for Hastings County.

Donnan continued his association with the military, becoming a lieutenant in the Hastings and Prince Edward Regiment. He became a captain in the regiment in 1921, major in 1925 and in 1937 was promoted to lieutenant-colonel and was given command of the First Battalion. In 1942 he took over command of the 9th Anti-Tank Regiment, and remained in that post until he retired from the military in 1945. He continued as Crown Attorney of Hastings County until 1954.

Bryson Carlyle Donnan was a Freemason, an honorary director of the Belleville Club and a member of the Bay of Quinte Yacht Club. He died in Belleville General Hospital on 25 February 1963 and was survived by his wife, Connie, and three sons.

Stinson, Harold

  • Person
  • fl. 1927-1965

Harold Stinson was a taxi driver and later a service station owner in Trenton, Ontario. In 1927-1928 he was employed in driving members of the cast and crew of the 'Carry On Sergeant!' movie from their lodgings to the sets of the film.

Quinte Cultural Centre

  • Corporate body
  • 1997-2003

The Quinte Cultural Centre at Belleville Collegiate Institute and Vocational School (BCIVS) was a non-profit corporation composed of concerned citizens in Belleville, Ontario and vicinity whose primary objective was to develop a cultural and information centre in the vacant BCIVS. Registered as a charitable organization in October 1997, it was incorporated as a not-for-profit organization in October 1998. BCIVS 2000, also registered as a charitable organization and a not-for-profit corporation registered in Ontario, was the steering committee for the development of the Quinte Cultural Centre.

Results 1341 to 1360 of 1376