Showing 1278 results

People and Organizations

Belleville Harbour Commission

  • Corporate body
  • 1889-1978

The Belleville Harbour Commission was established in 1889 by the Harbour Commissioners Act, Chapter 35. The Harbour Commissioners and Mayor were to appoint the Harbour Master with the approval of the Minister of Marine and Fisheries. The harbour and Port of Belleville were afforded the ability to collect harbour dues in 1870 through a by-law enacted by the Treasury Board of Canada. After the charter of the Commission in 1889, the by-laws and regulations were approved by the Governor General in 1911 and they were carried forward in 1947. The Harbour Commission was dissolved by a Federal decision in 1978.

W. C. Mikel lists the following Harbour Masters in his history of the City of Belleville:

  • 1889 Alexander Waters
  • 1891 D. Collins
  • 1904 Sidney Vandervoort
  • 1912 George Dulmage
  • 1922 J. H. Carr
  • 1931 Robert Goudy
  • 1936 Joseph Waddell

George Oliver Tice took over from Joseph Waddell in 1945. He was listed as Harbour Master in the 1959 Vernon's Directory of Belleville. Mac Smith held the position in 1961 and 1963, with Don J. Barrett in the role in 1972 and 1974. In the 1986 directory, the post was not listed, suggesting that the Commission had been dissolved by that date.

Belleville Hardware Company

  • Corporate body
  • 1901-1910

Co-founded by William Charles Springer after leasing the Chown Factory. Located at 270 Pinnacle St. in Belleville. Remained in operation until it was re-named in 1910 to the Belleville Lock Company Ltd.

Belleville Lions Club

  • Corporate body
  • 1953-

The Belleville Lions Club was incorporated in 1953.

Belleville Oral History Project

  • Corporate body
  • 1975, 2008

The Belleville Oral History Project was undertaken as a Community Involvement Project/Opportunities for Youth in cooperation with the Hastings County Historical Society. The project was overseen by Professor Sali Tagliamonte of the University of Toronto and the interviews were conducted by Nancy Foster, Robert Miller, Evelyn Sine and Dave Masters.

Belleville Scout-Guide Museum

  • Corporate body
  • 1975-

The Belleville Scout-Guide Museum began as a private collection in the home of Ron Moon of Corbyville.

Belleville Transit Commission

  • Corporate body
  • 1 May 1960 -

The first public transit appeared on May 23, 1876 with 16 horses and drivers operating from 6:00am to 10:00pm.
Throughout the years, the service disappeared, appeared again and upgraded thanks to many different franchisees.
By 1924, Fred Rawson Sr. had started a one-bus transit system. When he died in 1935, his wife and son drove the buses.
After the second World War, revenues dropped and the family sold to the City of Belleville.
The Belleville Transit Commission was appointed by the Belleville City Council to form and maintain bus transportation under the "City of Belleville Act, 1960." During its first years, routes and equipment were heavily studied to form the foundation of the transit system that still runs today.

Results 101 to 120 of 1278