Showing 1257 results

People and Organizations

Township of Rawdon

  • Corporate body
  • 1858-1997

The Township of Rawdon in Hastings County, Ontario, was incorporated in 1850. The village of Stirling was separated from the township in 1858 to become its own municipality. In 1998 the two amalgamated again to form the Township of Stirling-Rawdon.

Township of Stirling-Rawdon

  • Corporate body
  • 1998-

The Township of Stirling-Rawdon was formed in 1998 as an amalgamation of the municipal administrations of the Village of Stirling and the Township of Rawdon in Hastings County, Ontario.

Township of Thurlow

  • Corporate body
  • 1850-1998

The first two concessions of Thurlow Township were surveyed in 1787 by Louis Kotte, by which time the land adjacent to the Bay of Quinte had already been partly settled by Loyalists. For municipal purposes it was joined with Sidney Township until 1798, when it held its own town meetings. Belleville became a separate town in 1836 and Thurlow's first township council met in 1850. In 1998 the two were reunited and Thurlow Ward became part of the enlarged City of Belleville.

Township of Tyendinaga

  • Corporate body
  • 1820-

Tyendinaga Township, Ontario, was formed through the alienation of land originally granted to the Mohawks of the Bay of Quinte in 1784 (confirmed by the Simcoe deed of 1793: https://docs.neb-one.gc.ca/ll-eng/llisapi.dll/fetch/2000/90464/90552/92263/790736/890819/956564/956846/995761/C24-4-6_-_Simcoe_Deed_A3K1G9.pdf?nodeid=994999&vernum=-2). The first four concessions of the township were surveyed in 1820 and the rear concessions in the 1840s. The settlement of Deseronto was separated from the Township in 1871 when it became a village.

Township of Wollaston

  • Corporate body
  • 1880-

Wollaston Township became part of Hastings County in 1858. It had previously been combined with Tudor, Cashel and Limerick, but became a separate municipality in 1880. In 2019 it had a population of around 700 people.

Tremaine, George R.

  • Person
  • b. 1806 - d. 6 Apr 1882

George composed large wall maps of counties in southern Ontario from the 1850s and 1860s. The maps identify names of proprietors of the land.

Trenton (Ont.)

  • Corporate body

The Village of Trenton, Ontario, was incorporated through a Proclamation effective January 1, 1853 under the terms of the Baldwin Act, Chapter 81, Canada Statutes, 1849.

Tuinman, Alida

  • Person
  • fl. 1956-1974

Alida Tuinman was a high school student in Madoc in 1974.

Tupper, Charles Andrew

  • Person
  • 1914-1990

Charles Andrew Tupper was born in Owen Sound, Ontario, in 1914. He lived in Foxboro, Hastings County and worked for Canadian National Railways, writing poems in his spare time. He died on December 20th, 1990 and was buried in the Black River Bridge Memorial Cemetery, South Marysburgh, Prince Edward County.

Turnbull, John

  • Person
  • 1793-1869

John S. Turnbull was a merchant, municipal official and land owner in Belleville and Hastings County, Ontario. Turnbull was a dealer in dry goods, groceries, hardware, crockery, and country produce. He was born in Edinburgh, Scotland in 1793 and died in Belleville in January 1869.

He was also in influential member of Belleville society as both a civic leader and elected official. He was appointed Treasurer of the County of Hastings in 1838, and was elected to the municipal council as a representative for Ketcheson Ward n 1853.

Turnbull helped organize the first Sunday School in Belleville in 1822 with assistance from Dr. Anthony Marshall, and Doctor George Cooper. In addition to this, he also was instrumental in bringing the Presbyterian Church to Belleville. In 1821, Turnbull helped arrange a land grant of one acre on the east side of church street on lots 30 and 31. This land would be the home of the St. Andrew's Church and cemetery in 1831.

Turnbull was also in possession of lucrative property holdings. The John Turnbull Building downtown Belleville is the most recognized. It sits at 207 A to 211 Front Street on Lot 24 on the east side of the street. His properties in the city of Belleville include: Lot 38, east side of Pinnacle St.; Lot 5; Lots 9 and 10; Lots 18 and 19; Lot 24; Lot 28. In Rawdon, he owned: Lot 1, Concession 11; Lot 1, Concession 13; Lot 4, Concession 14; Lot 5, Concession 13; Lots 12 and 13, Concession 13; Lot 18, Concession 13; as well as Lots 16 and 24. He was also the owner of Lot 18, Concession 6 and Lot 6, Concession 11 in Madoc; Lot 9 in Richmond; Lot 35, Concession 5 in Tyendinega; and Lot 19, Concession 1 in Hungerford.

John Turnbull built what is known as the Turnbull-Campbell Villa in the 1850s. It was built for his daughter Charlotte Turnbull and used to stand at 23A Charlotte Street.

Results 1141 to 1160 of 1257