Showing 1297 results

People and Organizations

Bel-Con Design-Builders

  • Corporate body
  • 1973-

A construction company founded in Belleville, Ontario by Bill White and Barry Brown in 1973.

Belleville & District Shrine Club

  • Corporate body
  • 1946-

The Belleville & District Shrine Club was incorporated in 1946. Its headquarters are at 51 Highland Avenue, Belleville, Ontario, a property built in 1881 by barrister Nathaniel Baldwin Falkiner (1838-1905).

Belleville Arena Company Limited

  • Corporate body
  • 1929-

The Belleville Arena Company was formed to construct an arena in downtown Belleville, Ontario.

Belleville Business College

  • Corporate body
  • 1889-c.1915

The Belleville Business College was established in 1889. It had premises on the east side of Front Street in Belleville, Ontario, and offered training in commercial skills such as typewriting, shorthand, penmanship, and bookkeeping. The college is listed in the 1913 Vernon's Directory of Belleville, but not in the 1918 edition.

Belleville Chamber of Commerce

  • Corporate body
  • 1864-

The Belleville Chamber of Commerce came to being in 1864 as the Belleville Board of Trade for Hastings County and initially every business in the county was obliged to join. In 1920, the Board of Trade changed its name to the Belleville Chamber of Commerce. Chambers of Commerce were eventually established in Quinte West, Madoc, and Tweed as they branched off from the Belleville unit.

There have been five locations in the history of the Chamber of Commerce. These include the current location in the historic log cabin at 5 Moira Street East. Previous locations include, a building near City Hall on Front Street which burned down in 1948, inside the City Hall building, a location on Campbell street, and 338 Pinnacle Street between Victoria and Station Streets.

A Belleville District Junior Chamber of Commerce was chartered in 1961. Known as the “Jaycees,” the first President at the time of inauguration was Zdenck Kvards. Over 600 local businesses were members of the Chamber of Commerce as of 2014. The organization also sponsors, nominates, and delivers the Belleville Citizen of the Year Award annually.

According to the information retrieved from the files collected by the Hastings County Historical Society, notable Presidents have been:
1931 – J.O. Hertz [Herrity?]
1956 – H.P.M. Cane
1958 – J.N. Yanover
1959 – J.C.R. Punchard
1960 – E. David
1961 – Jerry Wishart
1962 – W.T. Elliot
1963 – J.B. Corke
1969 – Hugh Murray
1970 – Jack Ireland
2014 – Andy Bridgeman
2014 President Elect – Tracy McCollum

Belleville Collegiate Institute and Vocational School

  • Corporate body
  • 1928-2004

The cornerstone of Belleville Collegiate Institute and Vocational School on Church Street in Belleville, Ontario, was laid on 5 October 1927. The school officially opened on 12 December 1928. The school closed its doors to students in 1992 and stood empty for twelve years. It was eventually demolished in 2004.

Belleville District Runners Association

  • Corporate body
  • 1984-

The Association was formed in 1984 under President Larry Boyle. It was renamed the Belleville Runners Club at some point in the 1990s.

Belleville Fire Department

  • Corporate body
  • 1836-

The earliest recorded by-law No. 1 of the newly incorporated police village of Belleville (1836) outlined the fire regulations and safety measures for its residents. Able-bodied men were expected to assist with drawing the hand-pumped apparatus to the scene in all types of weather and bad road conditions. Every business and dwelling was expected to have a bucket to hand and assist with putting out fires.
By the 1860s the town of Belleville had horse-drawn equipment and a steam-powered pumping engine. The independent fire companies were under the direction of the Chief Engineer appointed by the town council. In 1878, a volunteer fire department was organized and the fire companies were merged into two with a Hook and Ladder company. Chief Engineer William H. Campbell was the first fire chief, serving in this capacity until his death in 1915.
The volunteer fire service that had protected Belleville since 1878 was organized on a permanent force basis on January 1, 1916 under Chief William Brown. At this time there were 10 men and two fire pumpers.
The 1920s was a transitional period for the Belleville Fire Department when the city approved the purchase of two motorized vehicles to replace horse-drawn equipment. The last horse was retired in 1926 with the purchase of a ladder truck.
From the 1920s onwards the Belleville Fire and Emergency Services has continued to respond to the changing needs of the municipality.

Belleville Garden Club

  • Corporate body
  • 1876-

Originally established as the Belleville Horticultural Society on January 5, 1876, the Belleville Garden Club took on its present name in 1973 to reflect the change in emphasis from rural to urban interests. The Belleville Garden Club is a volunteer, not-for-profit organization interested in growing flowers, vegetables, shrubs and trees for pleasure. The club's mandate is to inform, educate and beautify, both for the knowledge and interest of the members and for that of the community at large.

Over the years, the Belleville Garden Club has undertaken a variety of annual projects such as the Big Dig, a sale of chrysanthemums, and the Trillium Awards, a program in which city gardens were judged by club members with the best publicly rewarded. A Memorial Garden was established in 1988 and dedicated two years later, the intention being to provide a place of reflection and quiet meditation for those who had lost club members.

Results 81 to 100 of 1297