Showing 1346 results

People and Organizations

Deseronto Arts and Culture Society

  • Corporate body
  • 2004-2007

The Deseronto Arts and Culture Society was formed with the aim of restoring the former Naylor's Theatre building in Deseronto, Ontario. Members included Don and Noni McMeeken, Barb Thompson, Bill Conley, Ian Miller, Russell Cassidy and Andrée Boisvert.

Fano, Donna

  • Person
  • fl. 2013

Donna Fano works as a teacher at the Sir James Whitney School for the Deaf in Belleville, Ontario, and looks after the school's archives and museum.

Anderson, Matilda 'Tillie'

  • Person
  • 1848-1941

Matilda Anderson was the child of John Anderson and Mary Roblin. She lived at 6 Forin Street, Belleville.

Beatty, Samuel George

  • Person
  • 1849-1916

Samuel G. Beatty was the child of William A. Beatty and Jane Elizabeth Sherman. He was the co-founder of the Ontario Commercial College with George Wallbridge in 1868, buying out Wallbridge's share of the business in 1871. In 1878 the college was known as the Ontario Business College. Beatty retired in that year, and moved to Toronto. He died in Los Angeles, California, in 1916.

Ontario Business College (Belleville)

  • Corporate body
  • 1868-1999

The Ontario Business College was established as the Ontario Commercial College in Belleville, Ontario, in 1868 by Samuel G. Beatty and George Wallbridge. In 1871 Beatty purchased Wallbridge's share of the business and was joined by William Byron Robinson (1846-1921) and John Wesley Johnson. Beatty retired in 1879. The College was in operation in various locations in Belleville until it went into receivership in 1999.

Belleville Business College

  • Corporate body
  • 1889-c.1915

The Belleville Business College was established in 1889. It had premises on the east side of Front Street in Belleville, Ontario, and offered training in commercial skills such as typewriting, shorthand, penmanship, and bookkeeping. The college is listed in the 1913 Vernon's Directory of Belleville, but not in the 1918 edition.

Pitman (family)

  • Family

Edward Pitman (ca. 1861-1941) operated a blacksmith shop at the corner of Highway 62 and Moira Road in West Huntingdon, Hastings County, Ontario. He and his wife Margaret Jane (nee Hicks; ca. 1860-1953) lived in a home beside the smithy with their children Jack, Jean and Georgia. The Pitman family continued to run a store after Ed's death in 1941; they subsequently moved to Belleville, Ontario.

Results 81 to 100 of 1346