- Pessoa coletiva
A construction company founded in Belleville, Ontario by Bill White and Barry Brown in 1973.
A construction company founded in Belleville, Ontario by Bill White and Barry Brown in 1973.
Radio station CJBQ was licensed to operate in 1945 under A. McLean Haig of Belleville and his partner H.B. Cowan formerly of the Peterborough Examiner. The station's first equipment was purchased from Northern Electric. In 1946 the station began putting its administration in order and named W.H. “Bill” Stovin station manager and Tom Wilkinson the commercial manager. The station began operations on August 12 and held a formal opening on August 15 at Belleville Collegiate. The BQ in the call sign stands for Bay of Quinte.
The station was owned by Quinte Broadcasting Company and broadcast on a 1230 kHz frequency with a power of 250 watts. The first home of the station was at 11 Victoria Avenue in Belleville and the transmitter was located on Lot 3, Concession 3 in Thurlow Township. The station was on the air everyday from 7:00 am to 11:00 pm with the exception of Sundays when broadcasts started at 8:30 am. The shareholders of the company at the outset were Gerald A. Morton, A. McLean Haig, H.B. Cowan Jr., and W.H. Stovin. These shareholders were eventually bought out by the Morton family.
In 1947 the station became a CBC Dominion supplementary station. The same year, they also hired “Hammie” MacDonald as their staff pianist. The year 1949 saw MacDonald replace Tom Wilkinson as the commercial manager, and in 1950 CJBQ opened its Trenton studio. Bill Stovin hired assistant manger Frank Murray in 1952. The 1950s closed out with an expanded broadcast range to meet the needs of the postwar boom while also reflecting the industry trend. On March 12, 1957 CJBQ moved to 800 kHz with 1000 watts and moved its transmission apparatus to Highway 14 near Mountain View, Prince Edward County using three 209 foot towers.
CJBQ added an FM station in 1962, signifying a new era for radio. The offices and the Belleville studio then moved from the Victoria Avenue location to the Intelligencer Building at 45 Bridge Street East. At this time Dr. Gerald Morton was the Quinte Broadcasting Company's President and Frank Murray had been promoted to manager. Long-time on-air personality Peter Thompson joined the station in 1969. The station also began to broadcast Montreal Expos games in the same year, marking the arrival of the first Major League Baseball team in Canada, and giving the sport a local media outlet.
The Quinte Broadcasting Company was authorized to increase their transmission power to 10,000 watts in 1970. This is reflected in yet another new transmitter location west of Niles Corners in Hillier Township, Prince Edward County. This site housed six 297 foot towers. Peter Thompson would leave CJBQ in 1974 for CKSL in London. In 1975 Quinte Broadcasting opened a semi-satellite station in Bancroft – CJNH. Peter Thompson returned from London in 1978 and CJBQ FM became CIGL. Another long time anchor joined the news team in 1979 as John Ferguson was added to the news department.
The 1980s began with Peter Thompson once again leaving the station, and he was replaced by John Henderson. Thompson returned in 1983. In 1981, owner Gerald Morton died at the age of 82, although his estate would continue to control the station until 2003. CJBQ's affiliation with CBC ended in 1984 after the CRTC approved Quinte Broadcasting's application to amend their license. Two human resources moves also occurred in 1984 as manager Frank Murray retired and John Henderson took a position at Loyalist College. The post CBC era was heralded in by another move, as the offices and studios took up residence at 10 Front Street in 1985. In 1988, the station began operating in stereo with a new Motorola C-Quan system.
CJBQ switched its musical direction in 1993 from adult contemporary to country. In another move reflecting media and social trends, the station dropped its broadcast of Montreal Expos games and picked up the Toronto Blue Jays in 1995. This move occurred because of lack of local, regional, and national fan support, as well as the team's financial troubles after the MLB players' strike in 1994, and concerns over the viability of baseball in Montreal. After years on-air, the 1990s saw Peter Thompson become the Quinte Broadcasting Company's Operations Manager. In order to keep up with other industry and societal trends, CJBQ launched its internet site in 1997, giving them an online presence.
Control of the organization was transferred from Gerald Morton's estate to Herbert M. Morton, who controlled two-thirds of the station, while the remaining third went to Mrs. Joyce Mulock in 2003. In 2007 Bill Morton was promoted from the position of General Manager to CEO, succeeding his father Myles Morton, who passed away in 2009 at age 85. Official ownership then passed from the late Myles Morton to William Alexander Morton, Stephen Myles Morton, Virginia Elizabeth Morton, Cynthia J. Thorne, and Deborah Barbour. In 2012 the station's license was renewed by the CRTC until 2019.
Hastings East District first met in 1901. It was an umbrella organization for Women's Institutes branches in the east of Hastings County, Ontario.
The branches covered by the District and their dates of foundation were:
Melrose, March 1902
Quinte, August 1907
Roslin, December 1908
Plainfield, March 1910
Bethel Zion, 1912
Tyendinaga East, February 1929
Moira, April 1946
Carmel, March 1949
Foxboro, May 1949
Cannifton, April 1950
Chapman's, May 1950
Parkdale, November 1953
See http://fwio.on.ca/structure/hastings-district for information on the institutes currently covered by its successor, Hastings District.
The Foxboro Cheese Factory was incorporated in 1898 under founders John A. Holgate, James W. Gay, Robert Fenn, Thomas Leslie, William Goswell, Joseph Waldron, Hubert Hawley. It was located in Thurlow Township, County of Hastings, Ontario on Harmony Road at Highway 62. The factory stood until a fire destroyed it in 1906, after which the factory's operations shifted to the Eclipse Cheese Factory for approximately one year until a new facility could be built. Hoping to gain a larger influence in the industry, the company joined the Cheese Factory Patrons Association.
After World War II, the factory saw that the British Economy, which it been dependent on for exports, was no longer a viable option, as it rebuilt its own economic and social infrastructure in the wake of the destruction, the Foxboro Cheese Factory shifted its focus to the United States. It encouraged vendors to increasingly focus on targeting American tourists domestically, while updating their packaging to attract new customers and open new markets for export. The postwar period also proved to be a boon for the artisan value of Foxboro, as their reputation for quality was renowned. Foxboro Cheesemaker Horace Palmer scored the highest average scoring in Central Ontario for his cheeses in the late 1940s, culminating in the 1949 award for the best quality cheese in Eastern Ontario, which helped bring esteem and financial gain for the cooperative.
As operating costs and regional competition increased, which drove their market share down, Foxboro Cheese Factory's revenues decreased. This resulted in the company ceasing operations at the end of 1961. As part of the effort to maximize shareholders tenders, the Cheesemakers house was sold to Hans Laubert for 2,100 Canadian Dollars, whereas the factory, land, and equipment was sold to W.D. Cook. The factory eventually became the Thurlow Ward Fire Hall.
Huntingdon East Women's Institute was established in 1946 in Moira, Hastings County, Ontario.
Huntingdon Township Council was established in 1850. In 1998 it merged with the Village of Madoc to form the Municipality of Centre Hastings.
Organization website: https://cfuwbelleville.com/
Russwin was formed in 1839 by Henry Russel and Cornelius Erwin in New Britain, Connecticut. P & F Corbin was formed in the same city in 1849 by Philip and Frank Corbin in partnership with Ed Doen. The two companies merged in 1902 to form the American Hardware Company which continued to produce locks under the two former division names.
In 1885, William Charles Springer opened a building hardware factory in Peterborough, Ontario. In 1901 he moved to Belleville, Ontario and leased the Chown factory, establishing the Belleville Hardware Company at 237 Pinnacle Street. He left the Belleville Hardware Company in 1910 and after receiving 250 shares worth $100 each for Brass and Steel Goods Ltd from H.C. Hunt, started the Springer Lock Company located at 180 Coleman Street in Belleville. From 1910 to 1917, W.C. Springer was the Managing Director, while Sir Mackenzie Bowell was President. Springer took over both positions after Bowell's death. In 1910, the Belleville Hardware Company changed its name to The Belleville Lock Company.
In 1931, Springer Lock Company was sold to the American Hardware Company and began to make locks under the division name of Corbin Lock Company of Canada. The Belleville Lock Company was also bought out at this time becoming the Belleville-Sargent and Co. Limited.
Both the Belleville-Sargent Lock Company and the Peterborough Lock Manufacturing Company were bought by the American Hardware Company in 1947. In 1956 the American Hardware Company was renamed the International Hardware Company, with the factories in Canada operating under the name IHC of Canada Limited. It continued to manufacture locks at the 180 Coleman location until its closure in 1988. The majority of the buildings on the site were demolished in 1989.
The factory was founded in Belleville, ontario by William Charles Springer in 1910. In 1931 he sold it to the American Hardware Company.
The Ontario Association of Agricultural Societies District 3 was formed in February 1911 in Castleton.
The Sidney Cheese and Butter Factory Manufacturing Association was founded in 1893 by John R. Brower, Wellington Crouter, Lemuel Hogle, W.R. Vandervoort, Samuel Traverton, Peter Goldsmith, Fred A. Spafford. The factory was located in Sidney Township, County of Hastings, on Lot 22, in the 3rd Concession. The Association operated until it ceased operations in 1951 to pay creditors. President's of the association included: John Brower (1893-1898), A. V. Hogle (1899-1900), J.M. Farley (1900- ), U.A. Thrasher (1930-1932), Arthur Bunnet (1932-1933, 1935), J.W. Bailey (1934), Carmen Grills (1937-1941), Stanley Spafford (1942-1944), Ernest Kells (1945-1948), and Everett Hubbard (1948-1951).
The South Hastings Film Council was formed in December 1950 by the merger of Hastings County Film Council and Foxboro & District Film Council. Each month the Film Council recieved one box of films from the National Film Board of Canada (NFB) and arranged showings throughout their district, which consisted of Sidney, Thurlow and Tyendinaga Townships. Films were shown to school groups during the day, with a public showing in the evenings. The Film Council advertised the showings, supplied equipment (projectors) and organized the events. Connie Churchill was the secretary and Jim Churchill was "the fixer" the one in charge of setting up everything. Wanda I. Sine was treasurer.
Men's senior hockey team based in Belleville, Ontario. They were sponsored by Harvey J. McFarland of Picton. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belleville_McFarlands
The Tyendinaga East Women's Institute was formed in February 1929. It was disbanded in 2014.