- fl. 1933-1967
Showing 1297 resultsPeople and Organizations
- Corporate body
- fl. 1957
Auguste Martineau and Associates were a firm of architects based in Kingston in the 1950s. Biography of Auguste Martineau is at http://dictionaryofarchitectsincanada.org/node/1945
- b. 21 Apr 1862 - d. 4 Dec 1939
Fraser was born on April 21, 1862, at Madoc, Hastings County, Ontario, to parents Elizabeth June Gillespie and Charles Fraser Sr. (a Provincial Land Surveyor).
Following in the footsteps of his father, Fraser was employed as an Ontario Land Surveyor throughout his career.
He married is first wife, Minnie Deans on September 21, 1887 at Perth, Ontario. Following her passing in 1906, Fraser was remarried to Louise Victoria Brenton on March 22, 1910 at York, Ontario.
Fraser died at an age of 77 years on December 4, 1939.
- b. 5 Mar 1834 - d. 27 Jun 1911
Charles Fraser Aylsworth was a land surveyor for the provincial government. Most notably he surveyed what would become Carlow Township, paving the way for settlement. He was the son of Robert Aylsworth, a farmer, township clerk, and Methodist preacher while his grandfather was MPP for Lennox. Charles' son, who shared his father's name was also a noted surveyor of the region during the early 1900s. In 1861, he married Elizabeth Gillespie in Stratford.
- b. 15 Sept 1836 - d. 22 Apr 1909
William was born in Ernestown Township, in the county of Lennox and Addington, Ontario on September 15, 1836.
Although, he grew up on a farm and was educated in Newburgh, Ontario.
At 18 years old, he was employed as a school teacher but later studied surveying. He was articled to A.B. Perry for three years before successfully receiving his certifications on November 8, 1861.
In September of 1863, William married Christianna Herchmer, the daughter of Col. John Herchmer.
For five years he surveyed private and government land.
He was then employed by the Rathburn company for 25 years as a surveyor.
In 1871, he was Reeve of Deseronto and in 1871, 1881 and 1893 Warden of Hastings County.
He died in Belleville on April 22, 1909.
Leo Hendrik Baekeland was born in Ghent, Belgium. He was a chemist who went to the United States on a scholarship and later lived with his Belgian wife and son and daughter in Yonkers, New York. He formed the Bakelite Company in 1910 and was president until his retirement in 1939.
- fl. 1936-1950
- b. 26 Aug. 1796 - d. 18 Oct. 1849
Nicol Hugh Baird was born on August 26, 1796 in Glasgow, Scotland to parents Hugh Baird and Margaret Burnthwaite.
At age of 16 he went to Russia to study with his uncle Charles Baird a machinery worker.
Around 1816, he returned to Scotland to continue training with his father, a canal engineer and builder.
He later departed for Canada in spring 1828.
Luckily, he possessed prominent references from Britain and soon earned a job as clerk of works on the Rideau Canal.
In September 1832, Lieutenant-Colonel John By commissioned Nicol to survey the mouth of the Trent River and design a bridge.
The following year, he worked alongside Frederick Preston Rubidge to develop canals between the Bay of Quinte and Presqu’ile Bay and from the mouth of the Trent River to Rice Lake.
He died on October 18, 1849 in Brattleboro, Vermont, USA.
- fl. 1956-1974
Brenda Baker was a high school student in Madoc in 1974.
- Corporate body
- 1901-1909, 1918-
The first library was located at W.N. Simmons' Tailor Shop, later at Athens High School. In 1918, the Women's Institute made a library their first peacetime project. Beginning as a small travelling library, it later was established in the basement room of the Community Hall, built originally as a jail, until it moved in 1960 to 14 Flint Avenue. (Reynolds, Nila. Bancroft: A Bonanza of Memories. Bancroft, Bancroft Centennial Committee, 1979, pp. 161-165)
- Corporate body
The first edition was published on December 16, 1894.
- Corporate body
- c. 1960 -
- fl. 2010
- b. 1950
Russell J. Barber was an archaeologist who worked for the Peabody Museum, Harvard University.
- fl. 1917-1918
Lewis Barker was a rigger at Camp Rathbun near Deseronto, Ontario, during the First World War.
Jesse Barlow married Rachel Parfoot in Brooke, Norfolk, England on 30 October 1792. They had at least eight children: John (born 1793), William, Elizabeth, Susannah, Robert, Hannah, Isaac and George (born 16 April 1814). George moved to Canada before 1839 and farmed 35 acres of land forming part of lot 7 in the first concession of Thurlow Township. He married a woman called Mary Ann and in the 1871 census they had nine children living with them. George died on 2 April 1894 and was buried in the Belleville cemetery. His wife died in 1920.
Mrs. Eva Barlow, wife of Clinton Barlow, arrived in Deloro, Hastings County, in 1922 and lived there until 1949 when she and her husband moved to Belleville. She went to school in Gananoque and studied at the Kingston Business College to be a secretary. Clinton Barlow was a chemist at the Deloro Smelting and Refining Company. Eva Barlow died on December 17, 2000.