- Corporate body
Showing 1498 resultsPeople and Organizations
- fl. 2017
- fl. 2020
Joel Zemel is a researcher, historian and author based in Halifax, Nova Scotia.
Lewis Zandbergen was a local historian and collector. He was a former president of the Stirling-Rawdon Historical Society and Chair of the Stirling Public Library Board.
Leo Arthur Young was born on May 11th, 1899 and was a life-long resident of Belleville, Ontario. He married Viola Frost in 1924. He worked for Stewart-Warner Canada Limited for 42 years, retiring with the position of president of the company in 1964. He died on January 14th, 1967.
George Young was born in Ireland on 9 October 1834. He moved to Canada in 1850 and married Mary Louisa Ponus on 11 June 1863. By 1869 George Young was the publisher of The Courier newspaper in Trenton, Ontario. He died in Trenton on 11 November 1903.
- fl. 1969
Lewis Wallbridge Yeomans was born in Belleville, Ontario on 24 May 1845, the child of Asa Yeomans and Charlotte Herkimer. He was a druggist by profession. Yeomans married Florence Howard Jones on 23 June 1874. He died on 19 October 1896 of suffocation after a fire at his drugstore at what is currently  302 Front Street.
Harold Alfred Wright was born on May 6, 1908 in Tyendinaga, the son of James Alfred Wright and Clara Amelia Parks. He was married to Cynthia Cunningham who predeceased him. Mr. Wright was educated in Belleville and became a self-employed carpenter. He was a member of Bridge Street United Church. Mr. Wright died on June 29, 1997. Officers and Members of both Moira Masonic Lodge #11 and O.E.S. Belleville Lodge #55 held memorial services for Mr. Wright.
Elias Wright was born on 5 December 1913, the child of Robert Wright and Effie (Lindsay). He was a lifelong resident of Tweed, Ontario. He married Mary Frances Payne in Tweed on 20 January 1932, when he gave his occupation as tinsmith. Wright was the superintendent of the Tweed waterworks from 1945 to 1965 and he later served on the Village Council. He died in 1999.
- fl. 2014
Cynthia Jane Cunningham was born in Ameliasburgh Township on March 1, 1903, the daughter of George Cunningham and Cynthia Pierson. She married Harold Alfred Wright and they lived in Belleville. She was a member of Eastern Star #55. She died on January 12, 1995.
Bernard Allan Wright was a schoolteacher who was married to Isabel Maud Clarke. He was president of the Hastings County Historical Society in the early 1990s. He died in Belleville, Ontario on 24 September 2014 at the age of 82.
Roland Woolsey was a journalist and editor. He was born in Norwich, England on 12 January 1862 and died in Toronto, Ontario on 13 December 1938.
- fl. 1956-1974
Margie Woolfrey was a high school student in Madoc in 1974.
James Woodley was born in 1821 in Stratton, Cornwall, England. He was a mason by trade, but switched to fur-cutting when he moved to Canada. His son, George Thomas Woodley, established Woodley's furriers at 273 Front Street, Belleville, Ontario, in 1904 and the firm remained in the family for three generations, closing its doors in the late 1980s.
- fl. 1943
Edith Woodhouse lived at 50 Octavia Street, Belleville, Ontario. Her husband, Alfred Woodhouse, worked as a cook for the Canadian National Railways.
- Corporate body
The Young Women's Guild was formed under the auspices of the John Street United Church in Belleville, Ontario in 1931. Its aim was "to study and discuss current topics in the light of the principles of Jesus' teaching". Members prepared talks on topics of interest to members and a guest speaker was invited once a year to address the group. During the Depression they organized a School for Leisure in the church hall, as a place for people to meet and learn basic skills such as knitting, nutrition, carpentry, sewing, and bookkeeping.
The name of the organization was changed at the 29th March 1950 meeting to the Women's Guild.
The future of the Guild was discussed at a meeting held on 28th September 1998, when it was unanimously agreed that the Study Guild should cease to exist. The remaining funds of the organization were donated to Eastminster Church.
- Corporate body
The Women's Christian Association in Belleville, Ontario, held its inaugural meeting on 18th November, 1879. It was formed with the aim of establishing a hospital in the city, and a home for the aged. The organization was incorporated in 1907. Work started on the construction of the hospital in June 1884. In 1948 the Association turned ownership of the hospital over to the City of Belleville. The Association continued to fund healthcare related projects until 2018, when it was wound up, donating its remaining funds to Quinte Health Care toward the renovation of the Maternal Child Program at Belleville General Hospital.