Showing 348 results

People and Organizations
Corporate body

BCIVS 2000

  • Corporate body
  • fl. 1997

BCIVS 2000 was a community campaign group formed with the aim of keeping the former Belleville Collegiate Institute and Vocational School building standing in Belleville, Ontario.

RNAO

  • Corporate body
  • 1925-

The Registered Nurses' Association of Ontario (RNAO) was established in 1925.

Deseronto Public Library

  • Corporate body
  • 1885-

Deseronto Public Library began as the Deseronto Mechanics Institute on 27 October 1885. Dr John Newton was elected as the President of the Institute. On 11 November 1885 the first Library Committee was estabished, with Ebenezer Arthur Rixen as the Librarian and Miss Millie Anderson as Assistant Librarian. In 1896 the Institute became a Public Library under the terms of the Free Libraries Act.

Deseronto High School

  • Corporate body
  • 1890-1963

The Deseronto High School was designed by architect Thomas Hanley. The Rathbun Company was awarded the construction contract and work began in June 1889. The school opened in January 1890 and was in operation until 1963.

Gagen & Fraser

  • Corporate body
  • 1878-1896

Gagen & Fraser was a firm of photographers which was active at 79 King Street, Toronto, Ontario between 1878 and 1896.

Langley & Burke

  • Corporate body
  • 1884-1894

Langley & Burke was an architectural partnership based in Toronto, Ontario. The two partners in the firm were Henry Langley and his nephew, Edmund Burke.

Volunteer and Information Quinte

  • Corporate body
  • 1966-

Ruth Burrows established The Volunteer Bureau in August 1966 as part of United Community Services (United Way). The Bureau provided services such as driving services, a housing registry, a furniture exchange , clothing depot, English for Newcomers, Seniors' drop-in centres and literacy programs. It became an independent agency with a board of directors in 1970 and was incorporated in 1972. In 1997 the Bureau established information and referral services and became known as Volunteer and Information Quinte (VIQ). Website: http://viq.ca/

Deseronto Cemetery Company

  • Corporate body
  • 1888-

The history of the cemetery can be traced back to Monday, February 6th, 1888, when a meeting was held in Deseronto’s Town Hall to discuss the establishment of a Cemetery Company under the terms of the Cemeteries Act. It was agreed that the Deseronto Cemetery Company should be formed, with a capital of $4,500. Within a week a prospectus had been issued and shares were being sold at $100 each.

The Tribune, Deseronto’s newspaper of the day, reported the outcome of the meeting in the following way:

The prospect of the early opening of a cemetery in this vicinity is everywhere hailed with satisfaction. The people of Deseronto and neighbourhood have in the past been compelled to bury their dead here, there and everywhere, a state of affairs in no way creditable to their public spirit. We are glad to know that so many are taking shares in the company.

The Tribune, February 10th, 1888

The original committee of the Cemetery Company included Dr John Newton, the local physician, Amos A. Richardson, a merchant (later MPP for Hastings East), and Thomas H. Nasmith, cashier for the Rathbun Company.

Forty acres of land to the east of Deseronto were purchased by the Rathbuns for the cemetery in April 1888 and A. J. Hopkins, a landscape architect from Oswego, New York, was hired to design a layout for the site in early May of the same year. The choice of an Oswego landscape architect reflected the industrial interests of the Rathbuns in that town and the fact that there were no landscape architects in Canada at that time.

“Before long, it would be a ‘pleasure’ for anyone to be buried in the Cemetery”, reported The Tribune, on April 6th. By the summer of 1888 the cemetery was in use.

A portion of the cemetery was sold to the Roman Catholic church in 1895, creating a separate Catholic section on the east side of the site.

Canada. Department of Mines and Technical Surveys

  • Corporate body
  • 20 Jan 1950 - 1 Oct 1966

Formerly, the Department of Mines and Resources which became the Department of Mines and Technical Surveys, and on Oct. 19, 1966, the Department. of Energy, Mines and Resources.

Deseronto Arts and Culture Society

  • Corporate body
  • 2004-2007

The Deseronto Arts and Culture Society was formed with the aim of restoring the former Naylor's Theatre building in Deseronto, Ontario. Members included Don and Noni McMeeken, Barb Thompson, Bill Conley, Ian Miller, Russell Cassidy and Andrée Boisvert.

Ontario Business College (Belleville)

  • Corporate body
  • 1868-1999

The Ontario Business College was established as the Ontario Commercial College in Belleville, Ontario, in 1868 by Samuel G. Beatty and George Wallbridge. In 1871 Beatty purchased Wallbridge's share of the business and was joined by William Byron Robinson (1846-1921) and John Wesley Johnson. Beatty retired in 1879. The College was in operation in various locations in Belleville until it went into receivership in 1999.

Belleville Business College

  • Corporate body
  • 1889-c.1915

The Belleville Business College was established in 1889. It had premises on the east side of Front Street in Belleville, Ontario, and offered training in commercial skills such as typewriting, shorthand, penmanship, and bookkeeping. The college is listed in the 1913 Vernon's Directory of Belleville, but not in the 1918 edition.

Results 1 to 20 of 348