CA ON00156 2019-064
- 1878 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
1 rolled cloth banner, 200cm x 150cm, with pasted paper notices
Name of creator
The Town of Belleville, Ontario was incorporated effective January 1, 1850 under the terms of the Baldwin Act, Chapter 81, Canada Statutes, 1849. The town became a City in 1878. In 1998 it amalgamated with the surrounding Township of Thurlow.
The banner was previously owned by the donor's father, Charles DeLong, and Charles's father, Daniel Milton DeLong (1872-1962), who lived at 49 Catharine Street in Belleville.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Donated by Peter DeLong in July 2019.
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Banner with pasted posters and invitations from the 1878 Dominion Day celebrations when Belleville received City status.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Banner is large and slightly water damaged.
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Individual items on the banner have been photographed and shared at https://www.flickr.com/search/?user_id=134017397%40N03&sort=date-taken-desc&text=2019-064&view_all=1
Related units of description
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description control area
Rules and/or conventions used
Level of detail
Dates of creation revision deletion
Digital object metadata